About lPitch

Started by
16 comments, last by Pzh 21 years, 10 months ago
quote:
Ofcourse I said *drivers*, they were free to set pitch to anything they thought appropriate - thus - user sholdn''t count on it being anything specific. Read it, use it, right?

Wrong, drivers mirror the hardware, so a driver can''t just pick anything - it has to be based on the hardware specs. If a memory card pages memory, it has to do in big chunks, hence the use of page or k boundries that make it easier on the hardware to move memory.

quote:
I just gave plenty of reasons why pitch != width*bpp, and I still think that power-of-two dimensions is least likely reason in practise to be of consideration.

quote:
Heck, most devices use pitch == width*bpp anyway

You might want to decide on pitch!=width*bpp or not in your discussion - you''re switching back and forth.

quote:
For client it''s marginally useful.. if you know your trade, raster routines don''t have to calculat address of pixels too frequently anyway (*1). If you doing triangle filler, once per triangle is sufficient (for example for the topmost vertex). If it''s a 2D sprite, same thing, one of the corners is sufficient, etc. etc.

You only need calculate pitch once per lock for any following operation, be it drawing bitmaps, polygons, etc. From there, all objects use the pitch to calculate one position to start from, so this statement is kind of a given - you don''t have to ''know the trade'' to understand this.

quote:
SO IMHO, the power-of-two doesn''t weight much at all in the cup based on my experience.

It''s not power of two we''re talking about, it''s page or k boundries, which are need for memory paging, not blitting issues. See above about hardware.

quote:
(*1) Going right? ++address; Going down? address += pitch; As you can agree, this makes the power-of-two not very factorial.

Again, this makes not difference - you''re talking about rendering while the real issue is paging and memory management.

Even talking about blitting, memory works faster when accessed in larger chunks, typically DWORDS, so ++address is slow when using bytes or short values. Hence, the power of two rule of thumb.

quote:
The only way to find out for sure is to try it, though. Try creating a random number of surfaces, with random widths. Than compare the widths to the lpitches. In the end, it doesn''t matter how anyone ''thinks'' directx or video hardware will behave. The only thing that matters is how it ''truely'' behaves, under real-world circumstances, and the only way to find that out is to see firsthand.

Doing this will most definately demonstrate the paging process if you create enough surfaces. It also slows down the whole deal as DirectX will continously page in surface memory when it runs out of working space.

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX
Advertisement
*NEVER* assume that pitch == width*bpp. Some drivers might want to include extra information at the end of each scanline, e.g a checksum or something.

If you absolutely must, then write two versions of the code:

if(lPitch == nWidth*nBpp){   // Do whatever you want, use pointer++}else{   // The safe route: use pointer += pitch}  

This way you can accomodate both cases, although be sure to test both properly.
Not using the pitch won''t just make your programs more portable, what happens if a new graphics card comes out that does some really cool special effects, but it needs some data at the end of each scanline, and you decide to buy this card? All you code that doesn''t use the pitch parameter won''t work. You''ll be tearing your hair out trying to figure out why it won''t work.

2p, Steve

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
/*
Wrong, drivers mirror the hardware, so a driver can''t just pick anything - it has to be based on the hardware specs.
*/

Ofcourse it''s wrong if you think I meant that the pitch can be random value - OFCOURSE it need to be such a value that actually works with the hardware. Hello? I''m talking to TOO intelligent person because seems I have to explain everything from ground-up so that you won''t misunderstand!

How can you say I am wrong to say that driver can choose anything it finds appropriate: if it find it appropriate to match the underlying hardware how can this be "Wrong" ?

Like I said before, I say it again, this time EMPHASIS on the real message: "user should calculate offset to next scanline with pitch instead of his own custom width*bpp calculation".

/*
If a memory card pages memory, it has to do in big chunks, hence the use of page or k boundries that make it easier on the hardware to move memory.
*/

This is also possible, that''s the beauty of DirectX interfaces. All that there is left for everything to work out, is users actually writing correct code and not promoting unsound practises in driver side.

/*
> Heck, most devices use pitch == width*bpp anyway

You might want to decide on pitch!=width*bpp or not in your discussion - you''re switching back and forth.
*/

I am not switching back and forth ; I have been VERY consistent in promoting the use of pitch *correctly*.

What you are quoting is just personal observation put out-of-context, if I used wording "Heck, ALL devices use ...", then your comment would be justified.

/*
You only need calculate pitch once per lock for any following operation, be it drawing bitmaps, polygons, etc. From there, all objects use the pitch to calculate one position to start from, so this statement is kind of a given - you don''t have to ''know the trade'' to understand this.
*/

Sure you do. All beginners who DON''T "know the trade" seem to think writing raster routines means calls to putpixel() function. This leads to the thought that it''s faster to calculate the address with bit-shift than multiplication, example:

void putpixel(int x, int y, char color)
{
buffer[pitch*y+x] = color;
}

Ofcourse the next step is that he reads a "tut" from the web, where someone explains that if the pitch is known to be 320, for example, he can do..

y*320 == (y<<8) + (y<<6)

You surely are familiar with all this beginner nonsense, right? This is why it''s logical to some people that power-of-two pitch is somehow more "efficient" for the client.

Or even the extreme case where people falsely belive into lookup table like this:

char* buffer = ylookup[y];
buffer[x] = color;

So I thought it would make my point clear without too much extra explaining what I meant by "going right? ++address", I was assuming we all are in level ground here ; not looking up ; nor looking down onto each other.

Because efficiently written raster routine doesn''t care about the pitch value, it''s not relevant for writing efficient code, right? So there''s nothing stopping from writing correct code (pitch aware) without any of the kludges I mention above and still coming out efficient.

/*
It''s not power of two we''re talking about, it''s page or k boundries, which are need for memory paging, not blitting issues. See above about hardware.
*/

To be honest I haven''t really encountered page-boundary issue since banked client access to videomemory since VBE 1.2 days.

If the hardware implementation is such that banking does require implementation to place scanlines in memory in such way that it still looks like linear aperture to the client, it only makes sense.

I won''t argue against this since this is what I came to believe in aswell, even a long before I ever heard of "DirectX". ;-)

/*
Again, this makes not difference - you''re talking about rendering while the real issue is paging and memory management.
*/

That''s the real issue for hardware/driver manufacturer. For the client it''s very clear: Use The Pitch, Luke! Indeed ; I am talking about rendering - that''s what we clients do, and as such I wanted to demonstrate that the actual physical memory layout is completely irrelevant to me as long as they can expose it though the DirectX interfaces *correctly*.

For me it''s complately irrelevant what the pitch is, aslong as it works: I don''t need it to be 512, 1024, 2048 or other "convenient" value.

/*
Even talking about blitting, memory works faster when accessed in larger chunks, typically DWORDS, so ++address is slow when using bytes or short values. Hence, the power of two rule of thumb.
*/

That''s *cough* not power-of-rule thumb, but alignment rule-of-thumb. Address aligned by, say, four doesn''t need to be power-of-two, is 12 a power-of-two? No. Is it aligned by four? Yes.

I know about alignment, believe me, but next pixel''s address is still trivial to calculate, that''s the point.

8bpp:
uint8* buffer = ...;
++buffer;

16bpp:
uint16* buffer = ...;
++buffer;

32bpp:
uint32* buffer = ...;
++buffer;

Ofcourse we all know that if pointer is 32bit, increment to it does actually add sizeof(uint32) bytes to the address, right? That''s the way C/C++ pointer arithmetics works, don''t look at me like that. ;-)

I''m sure you also know that misaligned memory access is actually illegal on most platforms, even on later x86 extensions like SSE. So it''s not only beneficial to write efficient code, but also MANDATORY unless it''s hardware exception you are aiming for.

/*
Doing this will most definately demonstrate the paging process if you create enough surfaces. It also slows down the whole deal as DirectX will continously page in surface memory when it runs out of working space.
*/

Can''t disagree with that, it''s true. But I disagree with your style of saying "Wrong" as reply to about anything I say - this misinterpretation skill of yours put me into explaining spree, must be fun to pull the strings like that. #¤#&¤#%""& >B)

EvilBill,

I think we have a communication problems here.. I was suggesting something more along these lines..

int pitch = ...;
char* ybuffer = screen + sx + sy*pitch;

for ( int y=0; y<height; ++y )
{
char* buffer = ybuffer;

int count = width;
do { *buffer++ = color; }
while (--count);

ybuffer += pitch;
}

See? Going into next pixel in horizontal and vertical is cheap, and we still take pitch into account correctly.

Sorry if confused anyone earlier, the above should be clear enough. I don''t see any special need for two cases like you suggested. I still think that the pitch value is IRRELEVANT for efficient and correct implementation of most raster operations you can think of.
Okay, regardless of the discussion, you do need to calm down. Anybody can read what you've been saying without you trying to talk down to somebody like they are stupid.

quote:
Hello? I'm talking to TOO intelligent person because seems I have to explain everything from ground-up so that you won't misunderstand!

??? You're talking to too intelligent person? I can't make out if you mean two intelligent people or something else.

quote:
Like I said before, I say it again, this time EMPHASIS on the real message: "user should calculate offset to next scanline with pitch instead of his own custom width*bpp calculation".

I could be wrong, but that's what everybody (including myself) has been saying since the first reply.

quote:
I am not switching back and forth ; I have been VERY consistent in promoting the use of pitch *correctly*.

What you are quoting is just personal observation put out-of-context, if I used wording "Heck, ALL devices use ...", then your comment would be justified.

Umm, please reread your messages and the quote - you do say both.

quote:
That's *cough* not power-of-rule thumb, but alignment rule-of-thumb. Address aligned by, say, four doesn't need to be power-of-two, is 12 a power-of-two? No. Is it aligned by four? Yes.

I need to clear this up, as I'm mixing up my old and new. Surfaces and bitmaps are padded to 8 bytes. Textures should be power of 2. And so, no surface would be 14 bytes.

quote:
Can't disagree with that, it's true. But I disagree with your style of saying "Wrong" as reply to about anything I say - this misinterpretation skill of yours put me into explaining spree, must be fun to pull the strings like that. #¤#&¤#%""& >B)

I'm only pointing out those instances that I believe you are incorrect. Just so I can get this right from now on, what word should I say, or should I also condone myself to the say 'you are too stupid Luke' tactics as well?

As I've said, you just need to calm down - a lot of what we are saying are the same, but for some reason, you seem to be getting really upset when somebody tells you that you might be wrong. Also, drop the anony posts - if you can't put your name to anything, than some people might not take you seriously.

Just to point something out, we both agree on the pitch and using some pointers to access, but you are assuming newbies are going to doing something strange. Let's drop the thing about calculating pitch, since there is no argument about it. In fact, I'll leave this open until tonight for any further valid replies that are on topic (bad Jimmy, went off topic )

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX

[edited by - jim adams on June 11, 2002 11:59:36 PM]
I do say both, that''s true:

(1) only pitch is correct
(2) width*bpp is pitch very often in practise

But the two are not mutually exclusive, and the (2) is subset of (1) so I''m not flipping back and forth.

Also you said that driver cannot choose the pitch, is wrong. This I cannot accept being wrong either. It''s true that driver must choose the pitch so that it is correct. There may be only one possible pitch, even, but it''s still the driver who chooses it: just very little choise for the driver to pick from.

You say I am upset. That is irrelevant. I am merely standing up to claims that some things I said were incorrect, I feel they were not incorrect. If I did feel that I *was* incorrect, I would thank you and know a bit more, but this is not the case time time. I would like to steer the discussion away from personal issues and you to respond to the two points I made above or ever hold your peace (I am not interested in personal analysis, you are not interested in personal analysis and other people likely even less).

That''s all.
I was talking to Pzh. He was saying that if he knows that the next scanline is immediately after the end of the first line, he can do some assembler stuff like ''rep STOPSW''.

Steve

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
quote:
Also you said that driver cannot choose the pitch, is wrong. This I cannot accept being wrong either. It''s true that driver must choose the pitch so that it is correct. There may be only one possible pitch, even, but it''s still the driver who chooses it: just very little choise for the driver to pick from.

Please reread my replys, I said the driver mirrors the hardware, which in turn determines the pitch - I didn''t say that drivers cannot choose the pitch. With DirectX, you have to deal with the drivers, there''s no arguing that.

quote:
(1) only pitch is correct
(2) width*bpp is pitch very often in practise

(1) is nothing, nobody argued that you shouldn''t use the pitch (reread the posts). If you want to discuss (2), I would like to see your proof. I can directly quote the DX SDK that tells you that surfaces should be padded to 4 bytes, hence not width*bpp.

quote:
lPitch
Distance, in bytes, to the start of next line. When used with the IDirectDrawSurface5::GetSurfaceDesc method, this is a return value. When used with the IDirectDrawSurface5::SetSurfaceDesc method, this is an input value that must be a DWORD multiple. See remarks for more information.

As for the power of 2, quote:

quote:
Storage Efficiency and Texture Compression
All texture compression formats are powers of 2. While this does not mean that a texture is necessarily square, it does mean that both X and Y are powers of 2. For example, if a texture is originally 512×128 bytes, then the next mipmapping would be 256×64 and so on, with each level decreasing by a power of 2. At lower levels, where the texture is filtered to 16×2 and 8×1, there will be wasted bits because the compression block is always a 4×4 block of texels. Unused portions of the block are padded. Although there are wasted bits at the lowest levels, the overall gain is still significant. The worst case is, in theory, a 2K×1 texture (20 power). Here, only a single row of pixels is encoded per block, while the rest of the block is unused.

So bottom line is that you can calculate pitch using the 4 byte padding (as per the SDK), but it''s better to always use the pitch when locking the surface, as I''ve been saying all along.

Now, as I''ve promised, I''ll be locking this thread. We''ve both had our say-so and it''s now up to the readers to determine and research this further using what has been said.

Jim

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement