OpenGL Accumulation buffers...

Started by
5 comments, last by Jonathan 24 years, 1 month ago
Lemme guess. This hasn't been implemented in any consumer hardware yet, has it? Is the revolutionary T-Buffer that 3dfx is talking about, or is that something neater? I ask this because I just spent a half hour or so getting some neat motion blurring code going, fired up my program, hit 'M' to start blurring, and everything suddenly slows to a crawl and software rendering takes over. ::sigh:: No more quick quick Voodoo3. Jonathan If you're bored and you want to see if your card has it Edited by - Jonathan on 3/16/00 6:15:31 PM
Advertisement
It runs fast on my TNT2, but there''s no motion blur at all.

I''m not sure if any recent chips support accumulation buffers in hardware. My guess is they don''t, but I could be wrong.

The T-Buffer is a simpler implementation of accumulation. Because of that, it''s easier to use, but also more restrictive.

Here''s 3dfx''s white paper on the T-Buffer. Towards the end they actually give you some useful information about how it works:

http://www.3dfx.com/3dfxTechnology/tbuffer/tbuffer_whitepaper.pdf

Scott Franke [druid-]
sfranke@usc.edu
druid-'s GL Journal
http://www.gamedev.net/opengl
I don''t suppose you pushed ''M'', did you?

Jonathan
heh, nope. Yeah, it runs really, really slow now.
I''ve tried it also,
on a PIII 600, w/ 256mb RAM and a GeForce DDR,

it still crawls (<1fps) with motion blurring.

-Mezz
::sigh:: I was afraid of that. Oh well, I guess I can fudge it using lots of alpha blending and fun stuff like that.

Jonathan
There is a reasonably fast way to emulate motion blurring.

You should render your primitives at a lower intensity, say N times lower, where N would be the number of motion blur passes. Then, you render the scene the same as you did in the accumulation buffer sample, N times, with additive blending enabled (no need for alpha here). This yields a motion blur effect, but with reduced color precision. You might want to use GL_LEQUAL Z testing and eventually the GL_POLYGON_OFFSET extension to solve Z-buffer problems.

DaBit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement