• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Corvus

D3DERR_INVALIDCALL -> SOLVED! :)

12 posts in this topic

When I perform a CreateDevice on my machine (using C#.NET and DirectX 8.1), I get an HRESULT which means D3DERR_INVALIDCALL. When I run the same code on the machine of my colleague, it works fine. So this has got nothing to do with .NET or the type library. What else could cause this error? Could it be the driver of my video card?? Thanx +++ Corvus +++ [edited by - Corvus on June 18, 2002 7:03:00 AM]

Usually means parameter structures are not being initialised correctly.
It could be just luck that the garbage from an uninitialised field in one of the D3D structures just happens to work on your colleagues machine.

With C#.NET, structures are automatically filled with the default values for the value types of that struct. A struct with 2 ints for example, will be filled with two zero''s. So, that''s not the problem...

+++ Corvus +++

I have this same problem. No one has been able to help me yet. What type of video card is in the one that worked and yours? I tested an app made in C++ for Direct3D and it said "Error Creating Device", but I ran the same app but made in VB and it worked.*confused* I did that on an nVidia AGP Graphics Card w/ 16MB and 512MB RAM. On my computer I ran them both and neither worked. It has an ATI 3D Rage Pro II+ w/ 16MB and 128MB RAM.

If thispost = 0 Then
GoBack()

Else
Read()
End If

Will this fix my problem? Or will it just help me to point out where the bug can be found...

My machine is an IBM Thinkpad 800Mhz 320MB with an ATI Rage Mobility M-AGP with 8MB RAM. I have never updated the drivers for my video card, so could that be the problem?

+++ Corvus +++

ok, I''ll try that, but the problem is, ATI does not offer standard drivers for their mobility cards, because the driver software is specific for each brand of laptop lcd-screen... that sucks

+++ Corvus +++

I think there''s something about Direct3D and ATI that they hate about each other. L0L. I ran dxdiag.exe, though, and Direct3D went okay.

If thispost = 0 Then
GoBack()

Else
Read()
End If

My colleague also has an ATI mobility, but he has installed a driver, some time ago, so.....

+++ Corvus +++

I don''t know where I can find ATI drivers. I checked at the website, but I didn''t find any for ATI 3D Rage Pro/ATI 3D Rage Pro II+.

Yes, they are there: in the top left there is a title CUSTOMER SERVICE, and there is an item called "find an item".

I have downloaded the latest driver for mobility cards from IBM, but I haven''t installed it yet (to busy working, see ).

+++ Corvus +++

Just posting to say that my problem is fixed :D. I''ve installed the latest driver for my card, and it works ok now!

Thanx all, for you help! I will go on exploring DirectX under C#.NET .

+++ Corvus +++