GameDev.net has announced its latest GameDev Challenge: Multiplayer Pac-man.
GameDev Challenges are designed for developers to create a small game in a one or two month period. The experience is intended to help beginner developers learn more about game development while offering more experienced developers an opportunity to test their creativity.
With Multiplayer Pac-man, developers are challenged to create a multiplayer Pac-man clone where the gameplay requires 2 or more players to compete or work together in Co-op mode to eat pellets and ghosts. Of course, some creative liberty is allowed with the Pac-man characters, style, and look-and-feel, as long as the game captures the spirit of Pac-man.
View the full details below or the thread at
Multiplayer Pac-man Challenge
Your challenge is to create a multiplayer Pac-man clone. See the Requirements for more information.
The 2-month challenge seems to be a reasonable time to allow more people to participate, so we're going to stick with that duration.
Create an exact replica with multiplayer gameplay or add your own modifications and improvements!
The player navigates Pac-Man through a maze containing various dots, known as Pac-Dots, and four multi-colored ghosts: Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde. The goal of the game is to accumulate points by eating all the Pac-Dots in the maze, completing that 'stage' of the game and starting the next stage and maze of Pac-dots.
- 2+ player board - Choose one or more games modes - local multiplayer, networked multiplayer, and/or AI players
- Team play? Vs play? Both? You decide.
The game must have:
- Start screen
- Player selection
- Score system for appropriate mode (winner in Vs mode or team total in Team mode)
- Sound effects
- Graphics representative and capturing the spirit of a Pac-man clone
- One or more levels
- Gameplay mechanics and mazes in the spirit of Pac-man - the game does not need to be an exact clone, but it should be obviously in the Pac-man spirit
- The game may be in 2D or 3D
- Players must be clearly identified
February 2, 2018 to March 31, 2018 (expires when all world timezones are April 1)
Post your entries on this thread:
- Link to the executable (specify the platform)
- Create a GameDev.net Project page through your Developer Dashboard (Profile menu -> My Project Dashboard).
- Post the link here to embed in your post.
- A small post-mortem in a GameDev.net Blog, with a link posted in this thread, is encouraged, where you can share what went right, what went wrong, or just share a nifty trick
- Source-code link is encouraged for educational purposes. GitHub or downloadable source code through your GameDev.net Project page.
Developers who complete the challenge in the specified time frame will receive the Multiplayer Pac-Man Challenge medal, which will be visible in their profiles.