SpeedTree® 8 for Lumberyard was released today under a free license provided by Amazon to all Lumberyard developers.
This launch marks the debut of SpeedTree 8, which has been in development for more than two years, and represents a new standard in vegetation modeling. Significant advances include new tools, powerful optimization techniques, refined geometry, and a fully-PBR workflow.
"SpeedTree 8 for Lumberyard is designed to be an intuitive and powerful toolset for both new and experienced game devs who want AAA quality vegetation in their Lumberyard projects," said Michael Sechrest, co-founder at SpeedTree developer IDV. "Taking advantage of Lumberyard’s advanced rendering and lighting systems, teams can create large-scale environmental art faster and with greater fidelity."
SpeedTree 8 for Lumberyard also marks the debut of a new model library, featuring surface-scanned leaf and bark textures. Each new SpeedTree 8 model offers multiple resolutions, age variations, and infinite seasonal variations with a new season slider.
"With Lumberyard, we’re giving developers everything they need to bring their most ambitious visions to life," said Eric Schenk, General Manager, Amazon Lumberyard. "By seamlessly integrating with Lumberyard, SpeedTree 8 makes it easier to model, import, and customize visually-stunning vegetation in your games."
In addition to seamless integration, SpeedTree 8 for Lumberyard offers:
- A free perpetual license for Lumberyard developers
- Full PBR material workflow and rendering
- All new 3D surface-scanned PBR texture library
- New techniques for low-poly branch structure modeling and mesh editing
- Automatic vertex color painting for Lumberyard wind with in-modeler preview
- One-draw-call models with tiling textures, wind, and LOD
- Unlimited seasonal variation
- New art director tools and more intuitive workflow
To see the new SpeedTree 8 Modeler in action, and for more information on how to download and activate SpeedTree 8 for Lumberyard, go to http://store.speedtree.com/speedtree-for-lumberyard/.