Jump to content
  • Advertisement


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

121 Neutral

About razieliyo

  • Rank
  1. razieliyo

    Physics system for a tilemap scenario.

      This is not a big game, but anyway this is another point I want to focus on. I want to use circle shapes, and not AABB's, so my final collision check will be a distance calculation. I didn't get the sweep scan with aabb, I mean, if I'm not doing it that way, could I have any performance issue?
  2. I have an NxM grid in this scenario: Blue blocks are the map Red circles are enemies Green circle is the player Little magenta dots are bullets, both from the player and enemies. Collision tests I would like to make are (if relevant): Player vs enemies Enemies vs enemies Player bullets vs enemies Enemy bullets vs player I currently perform map physics by using the tilemap directly, but now I have to implement physics for entities, and thinking about options is getting me a bit mad. Current options for spatial indexing are a grid, with each cell being the same size as the current map or any other size, and a quadtree, for adaptative cell size.   The simplest option would be use a grid, so that's the one I would like to do in first place, but anyway, a few problems arise: Since bullets are smaller than entities, cells may be a lot populated of bullets The idea of having NxM linked lists overwhelms me. If the map were 300x300, 90000 linked lists.... anyway, a way to solve this could be to increase the cell size, but then, the previous point gains weight. I guess the way to solve these two issues is to use a quadtree. I would go with the cell approach to see what happens, but still thinking that those are so much linked lists (one for each cell). I just wanted to have a little feedback on my concrete scenario, and let more experienced people tell how they would approach this. Maybe I'm overrating the cost of having so much linked lists and I should just go with it and try.   Another sub-question here is that if I want to handle collision tests separately, I think I should be using multiple data structures. Let's say, as player bullets won't collide with the player, I just don't need to check it, so I could make several data structures with proper entities on each, but if 1 grid with 90000 linked lists overwhelms me, I don't know how it would be with 90000 x 3 or 4.   Thanks in advance.     EDIT: re-thinking about it, the linked list thing is not as memory costly as I thought, since almost all of cells would be empty.
  3.   Well, it's a plus if I can work on linux, but anyway, I don't have the money to pay UE4, though this will be just for educational purposes.       Sort of! but the answer is the same as before, free-to-use is a hard requirement since this is for educational purposes and not for making money with it.   I'm looking for some already made FPS that I can modify, just that. So this may be not a good post name, mainly because Source or idTech4 are not FPS, but engines. Also, if it would be easier to make a fps from scratch using some engine, than modding an already made game, I'm okay with that, but I currently think it would be easier to modify an existing one.   EDIT: ease of use is preferred. 
  4. I want to make a mod for an FPS, and I'm still thinking about which engine I should use. My target is AI modding (genetic computation and the like), and maybe a little more adding a class system. Concerning the engine to use, and afaik: IDTech4 is well organised and there's a lot of currently supported forks, so it's a viable option. There's also plenty of documentation about it. Source engine is said to be not so well organised, but there's a lot of games made with it. Also, documentation seem to be good and plenty for it. And that's it, I'm just wondering about which engine I should use before I start using one and have to make my way back and learn the other. Another point is Linux support, but both have this.   Cheers.
  5. Solved with http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/docwiki.cgi/Introduction_to_SDL_Video#getpixel Thx!
  6. Hi. I'm trying to implement a per pixel collision function. I load the image with SDL_LoadBMP and then, set the transparent color with SDL_SetColorKey call. The next step is to store that key color with SDL_MapRGB inside a Uint32 (I think that matters for my issue). That member is which I'm going to use then to check if the pixel is "free" or not. Everything seemed to fit, but I noticed that in the pixel array, the "free" color is, for example (magenta 0xFF00FF) 0xFFFF00FF, but the one that is created with SDL_MapRGB is 0xFF00FF. One more byte for the pixel array format, so I thought it was because of the alpha data that I missed when creating the transparent color with SDL_MapRGB. Tried with SDL_MapRGB and passing 255 or 0 as alpha argument. Anyway, the problem persists. When I create the color with SDL_MapRGBA, the data stored is still 0xFF00FF, and the pixel array is 0xFFFF00FF. Any idea about what's going wrong? Can it be a format issue? I've thought of discarding that 2 extra bytes with an AND bit operation, but don't know if it is very safe, and if it were, I don't think it's a good solution for my problem, there should be more sdl-color-format theory behind this. MORE INFO: I'm accesing pixel array with, say: // in constructor... transparent = SDL_MapRGBA (255, 00, 255, 255); // also tried with alpha 0 // ..more code.. Uint32 *pix = (Uint32 *) surf->pixels; // bla bla bla if (pix[y*width + x] == transparent) return true; to access pixel in (x,y) coordinates, maybe this is wrong, but don't really think so. Thanks.
  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!