Hello guys! I'm Dominic, the artist at Pexira (recently formed indie company). This is our second game : Tasty Bunny. (Runner / platforming)
We are wondering which way is the BEST way to monetize this game. First, I'm going to show you how it's played with this video :
Here are the details to take into account so far :
- Tasty Bunny is free to play
- it's level based (not infinite) We have two areas to start with the release (jungle and desert maps), each including about 15 levels.
- The goal is to finish a level with enough speed and momentum to reach the rabbit hole before the Fox catches us. (See the timeline bar up the screen for the distance between the fox and the bunny.
We have a shop in the world map, and are wondering what is the best way to monetize this game with it. At first it was looking like this :
(using golden carrots, which are bought with real money, and cannot be found during the gameplay)
- Selling a consumable package (speed, revive, invincible bubble)
- A skin for the bunny, for each map (jungle, desert = 2 skins) these skins would add a bonus ability to the bunny, to encourage the purchase. (for example, a Leaf Bunny for the Jungle area, which would be able to double jump when its cooldown is up.)
- Extra levels to buy (maybe a package of 5 extra levels for each area)
- no ads (removing ads like interstitial)
And now we're figuring that this is a skill game. Skill / reflex. The noobs who would want to buy consumables, probably won't even play this game. So we might leave the consums out of the game to make it more of a real challenge for people who like challenges.
We are not giving any sort of bonuses (that affects gameplay) and rewards upon completing the levels, except for the classic 3 stars system. Much like oldschool platformers, the reward feel comes simply with the achievement of being able to move further, to the next level.
So our main income would be from giving them enough gameplay content (as many levels as we can give them on the release version), enough so that some of our players would be tempted to buy skins, and extra levels. (I figure, the more longevity the gameplay delivers, the most we can get out of these skins and extra levels.)
(Keep in mind that the concept of the development would be to keep creating the next areas to release later, over time, just like Candy Crush, etc.)
Now, this is when we're asking for your opinion.
Some of you have much more experience than us regarding publishing games, and it's why we would be very happy to have your input on this. How would you monetize this game type? And are we going the right way?
Thank you so much!!