Where to start, where to start, where to start
Let me first begin by introducing myself. I'm currently a female high school student, and this is my first post on this site. I have always loved video games, and would like to start learning the skills that would allow me to pursue a job in game design when I'm older. I'm a complete newbie however (a late bloomer, so to speak). I am literally the most computer illiterate, ignorant person you could ever meet when it comes to game design. The only attributes I have are a love of video games and a proficient skill in painting (I've been painting oil and acrylic landscapes seriously for about 3 years now, although I've been involved in art my whole life, and selling for about 1; I believe my artwork has reached a professional level, although I have little experience when it comes to drawing/painting people. This is the only real skill I have as of now). Anyways, I have some questions for anyone willing to answer them. I apologize beforehand if they seem naïve
1) What's the difference between 3D animation and graphic design? Are they the same thing?
2) What is the process for making art in video games? Can you give me some general steps about how one goes from point A (concept) to point B (physical product)
3) Where can I learn how to make art for video games? Where do I start? (I have no idea). What should I tackle first?
4) What are the similarities between physical painting and computer artwork?
4) What is the difference between programming and coding? (in regards to game design). How hard is it for someone with zero programming/coding experience to learn this? How can I start learning how to program/code, and what should I tackle first?
5) How do programmers/coders and artists work together? Where do their jobs intersect?
As you can see, I really have no idea about how games are made. This is my impression so far (which I'm guessing is incorrect); an artist builds a 3D model in the computer, then animates it, then paints over it. Finally, the programmer takes that 3D image, creature, or location and does "something" with it that eventually turns out as a video game (I know, lame description). If anyone could offer me some nuggets of wisdom, maybe a road map as to where I can start, I would be very grateful. I feel like there are just so many components to game design, and I have no idea where to start. It's as if video game design, unlike other skills, doesn't have just one starting point, but a dozen different ones (all of which intermingle and intersect at one point or another). Any suggestions on free programs or tutorials to help me learn would be great too