Mobile functionality allows anyone to access the Internet, anytime, anywhere they go. Apps a.k.a. applications make it much easier to game on the go.
Understanding the pros and cons of native apps, hybrid apps, and PWAs!
Game Developers and Apps
The leading game developers invest heavily in optimizing mobile functionality. The tech arena is peppered with top-tier mobile game developers from across the spectrum. A wide range of native apps, hybrid apps, and PWAs is provided by these gaming companies. This begs the question: Which apps offer players the best possible gaming experience?Game developers adopt a strategic approach to creating mobile-friendly games by carefully selecting native applications, hybrid applications, or PWAs. In our exhaustive review, we will consider the pros and cons of these apps, and how best to maximize your mobile gaming experience.
What Are Native Apps?
In simple terms, a native app utilizes the native language of the platform it is operating on. For example, Android platforms use Java, and iOS platforms utilize Objective-C. The overarching benefit of using native apps in game development is functionality. These games are built with applications that function smoothly on the machine coding. This optimizes the performance on the smartphone, tablet or phablet.
Among the many benefits of using native apps in game design are multimedia functionality on the mobile device, rapid gameplay, smooth transitions, high-quality animation, and multi-feature support and functionality. However, it is no mean feat developing native apps. Specialized code must be constructed for every platform, and it is near impossible to use the same code. The development process, language used, and the APIs differ markedly with native apps. As you might imagine, this can become a complicated procedure for game developers.
Mobile native game development is a dynamic field of study. Objective-C for iOS requires the app developer to understand Mac functionality. In other words, a Mac PC is needed to construct the code into an app. The cost of such is around $99 per year for the iOS developer account. All game developers will be required to fully understand Objective-C for Mac. Mac offers tutorials for app design. As for Android, there are plenty of resources available to game developers and a comprehensive selection of articles can be found at reputable platforms.
Pros of Native Apps
· Work efficiently with all native devices
· 100% support from the App Store and Google Play Store
· Guaranteed safety and security given that they are approved by app stores
Cons of Native Apps
· App Store approval is difficult
· Maintenance costs and upgrade costs are expensive for native apps
· Different devices may use different versions of the app making quality control difficult
What Are Hybrid Apps?
Pros of Hybrid Apps
· No approval is needed by the app stores
· Web applications can be released at any time whenever the developer wants
· Much easier to maintain and they run on common code across multiple platform
· Hybrid apps can easily be changed and made compatible with all mobile devices.
Cons of Hybrid Apps
· It’s tough to find hybrid apps since they are not all at the App Stores
· Safety and security of hybrid apps is not standardized or guaranteed
· Hybrid apps can be expensive to develop for multiple mobile browsers
What Are PWAs?
PWAs are otherwise known as progressive web apps. These user-based experiences have worldwide reach, and they are highly responsive, reliable, and immersive. One of my favourite example's for PWA is mobile.twitter.com. It’s fast, responsive and even works offline. PWA’s launch from your home screen and they load instantly. PWAs are efficient, guaranteeing higher engagement levels. PWA benefits include improved conversions, higher levels of engagement, applications that do deserve to be on the home screen, and greater reliability. Additionally, PWA’s require 25 times less device storage compared to native apps, and they result in significantly higher conversions on iOS and Android devices. These are big benefits for mobile gamers.