• Advertisement


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

100 Neutral

About azjerei

  • Rank
  1. glTexCoord2f

    *sigh* Every time I come here, people start doing this!!! RIGHT, YOU WIN YOU FUCKING BASTARDS :P Ban me, I won't return to this shit site that cannot help anybody with anything consistent. A big F.U.C.K. Y.O.U. to everybody :)
  2. glTexCoord2f

    I know that already, and that is not the cause since I am already using float values, not that it does really matter in thise case since they are typecasted anyhow.
  3. glTexCoord2f

    Heh.. if you say so.
  4. glTexCoord2f

    No, that's not it.
  5. glTexCoord2f

    How do I use glTexCoord2f to draw only a small portion of a texture??? I have tried (u/texture_width, v/texture_height) as the arguments, where x and y are the desired coordinates. For example, if I want to draw only half of a 256x256 texture, I would define the glTexCoord2f calls like this: // top-left glTexCoord2f(0/256, 0/256); // top-right glTexCoord2f(128/256, 0/256); // bottom-right glTexCoord2f(128/256, 128/256); // bottom left glTexCoord2f(0/256, 128/256); Is this correct? It does not work at all.... :(
  6. Loading a level

    Huh? I think I better leave this to it's fate... I have better things to do really :)
  7. Loading a level

    I doubt that is the problem. There have not been more than max 4 textures at any time.
  8. Hello! I am having BIG BIG BIG problems doing a proper level loading procedure for my 3d game engine. We are limited to using 3D Studio for creating levels (no time to build a custom level editor), and have so far chosen to export the levels to ASE format, since the other format we had to choose from, 3DS, did not support texture names over 8 characters (DOS stuff you know). ASE was good and all, until we discovered how damn slow it is to load a level with many objects (1000+). We then tried to write our own converter, so that the ASE loading is only done ONCE. Only the necessary data is converted from the ASE format to our format, which makes our format faster (all calculations are done during the conversion, such as vertex normals, bounding box extents, etc). But.. then we ran into problems where we loaded 1000+ objects, we got an incredible slowdown while rendering. We had culling by frustum and distance, and other stuff. We even had vertex arrays and vertex buffer objects, but none worked well. Now.. I rewrote the ASE converter so it only stores ONE instance of each object type (we have like 3700 ground objects, then we load ONE of those and only keep the positions of the rest, to save space) and use display lists to render each instance. This also caused problems which are much thanks to the shitty string management in C/C++. So.. in a desperate cry for help from a man who is about to lose his sanity and interest in continuing game development any further... what should I do? How do the big engines do it? How do YOU do it? Is there anything complete I can use (prefer not, but who knows...)?
  9. Alpha Masking/Opacity Mapping is probably the best solution to this.
  10. Vertex Array problem

    Is it 100% sure that Vertex Arrays takes the strain off the CPU?
  11. Vertex Array problem

    No, I don't use Octrees. I was thinking about it though... But.. I thought about doing some form of visibility calculation prior to rendering, sorting out the things I don't want to render. I wonder if it would be wise to do on a per-poly level since apparently the polygon culling I am using is quite effective (for regular objects only, not the landscape). Also, I activated the detail texturing, but I get lots of artifacts. It's the wrong multitexture, and it's applied totally wrong...
  12. Vertex Array problem

    Ok, thanks. Though.. having done a few tests, I don't really see any speed-up at all. With only the landscape rendered using vertex arrays (not regular objects like trees, fences, boxes etc.), I get an FPS of ~90-100. When rendering everything using vertex arrays, I get an FPS of ~70-80. Prior to installing this, I got an FPS between 40 and 100 depending on the amount of objects being drawn (had 41 in the scene, which were rendered all at once at certain locations, with a total face count of about 2000). How can faces be culled now? Someone said that it can be done, but theoretically, I cannot really see how, unless there is an extension for that.
  13. Vertex Array problem

    Ok :) Got texture coordinates to work as well, so the scene is textured. The FPS was increased to about double from before, which is great. Though, now I have two small problems: 1. How to use my vertex normals here? I have no indice list for the vertex normals I use.. Is that even possible? 2. My multitexturing seems to be unfunctional now.. Any suggestions? I guess it is the coordinates for the detail texture that isn't quite working as it should now that I pass texture coordinates via the Vertex Array system.
  14. Vertex Array problem

    Heh.. you were right.. multiplying the pObject->numOfFaces by 3 did the trick, though I don't understand why.. hehe.. THANKS TO EVERYONE!! :) Now for the texture coordinates ;)
  15. Vertex Array problem

    I am storing them as unsigned ints.. made the change from GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE to GL_UNSIGNED_INT in the vertex array. I guess I could use something with less memory footprint. I should not do ->numOfFaces * 3, that's incorrect since I only want to draw the number of faces for the object.
  • Advertisement