• Advertisement

Boruki

Member
  • Content count

    290
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

698 Good

About Boruki

  • Rank
    Member
  1. Level of detail vs. Level of Distraction

    Interesting thoughts, I had somewhat similar ideas for a game. It was a fantasy setting, open world etc but with large scale battles in first person as part of the gameplay. I looked in to how you could have 10-20k characters fighting at the same time, including large beasts and war structures, and I realised that most of those characters would fit in to a few categories- 1) out of sight 2) far away 3) blocked by others 4) in need of detailed rendering Using these ideas I was able to have a few thousand characters on screen without really pushing the detail as low as I could have. I even changed combat mechanics based on distance too, to just basic dice rolls when out of sight. Basically i just wanted to take LOD to another level.
  2. Caves

    Thank you for posting this - it's great to see how you can make a very effective in-game asset in a few simple steps!   I mostly work with concept level art, rather than polished pieces, but I've been learning lately about producing in-game art and this has solidified a lot of the thoughts I'd had on it... so thanks again!
  3. I wonder if this could be 'stickied' in the help wanted forum?  It has some useful links and covers some ideas that many people seem to miss.   A short and well explained look at starting making indie games.
  4. Advanced Terrain Texture Splatting

    That's a really cool technique!  It adds quite a lot visually for only a little work.   Thanks for sharing!
  5. The Windows search seems to be working now.. possible typing error on my part?  I'm not sure!   Also.. is it normal that I have to manually add in every single module in to my include directories in order to use PhysX/APEX?  It seems like a lot of fiddling around for such a large API.  And that's before you even start fiddling around with any physics stuff!
  6. Cheers Hodgman, that's where it is on mine too.  I used MSVC's search from the top of that folder and it didn't find it.. and neither did Windows7's search.   Much appreciated.
  7. Hi,   I wasn't sure whether to post this in Physics or API.. but it's API specific rather than physics know-how so I figured I'd post here.   I'm having issues with integrating APEX in to my project, however I've come across an include for a file called 'PxFileBuf.h' which I cannot find anywhere within either the PhyX or APEX folders.   I can't find anything about this file in regards to PhysX or APEX on Google so I wondered if anyone else had the same issue?  I was wondering if I'm being really simple.     Thanks for any help.
  8. Should I give up?

    In terms of using games with lots of pre-reqs and/or uncommon languages have you heard of Severance: Blade of Darkness? It's written in Python and most (all?) of the game is actually compiled at runtime. Did this effect the awesomeness of the game? Not at all, it was such an amazing game and it was packaged with everything you needed to run it. Most people didn't even realised it wasn't written in a common language. As long as you're working with a language that you can accomplish your goals with then stick with it. And we look forward to seeing the end product in IOTD!
  9. Can you post what the problem was? Just in case others come across something similar?
  10. Something I noticed was your 'times' counter is going up every vertex but is then checked against the number of tris. Obviously it should be getting checked against the number of verts? Maybe just use the num_tris * 3?
  11. Vector Rotation

    Thanks for your reply! I wrote this thread and then went off to work. While driving I suddenly thought 'maybe I should be using quaternions' so at least I was on the right track. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!
  12. Hi everyone, I've been struggling along with some vector rotation stuff, which I'm actually thinking is probably quite simple.. but I'm stuck in a mental rut (having only just gotten out of my last one..). I'm trying to do collision testing of a set of capsules and a line. The line is perfectly placed now, but the capsule set isn't. I didn't post this in the game specific forum as it's a more general problem, but the vectors are being rotated from a skeleton (which is being rotated for rendering too). When I render the skeleton/character I do these transforms.. glTranslatef(position.x, position.y, position.z); //Character position glRotatef(90, -1.0f, 0, 0); //Rotate the model 90 so it moves along the Z axis glRotatef(direction * 180 / PI -120, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0); //Rotate to the characters direction glTranslatef(end.x, end.y, end.z) //The end position of the joint Then I draw the character. So I've been trying to re-create these transforms when building the capsules for testing. I did think about using a matrix, but I'm really not a maths person. I started by creating an 'origin' vector for the initial position, then for each capsule I had 'capBegin' and 'capEnd' to store the vector of both ends. However this is where I've gotten stuck, I can't decide/figure out how best to the get the rotations to work. Most of the rotations I've been doing have skewed the mesh, or moved them outside any viewable area. I've been looking through google and here, but I'm either searching the wrong things or I'm not reading them right! So I'm looking for a bit of guidance on how to do this. I'm very much open to criticism on my being silly, so long as it comes with some help on where I'm going wrong! Thanks for reading.
  13. Attack arcs

    Thanks for that suggestion there snowman.. I will have a look in to that! Sorry for the really late reply, I've barely been at the pc the last week!
  • Advertisement