3D -> 2D

Started by
2 comments, last by TheVoid 21 years, 5 months ago
Is there any equation that allows to convert 3D coordinates to 2D coordinates (without perspective). If you don''t know what I mean go to http://flux5.w.interia.pl/picture.gif
Advertisement
3d->2d is all relative to the view plane. For example, the results you desired must mean the view plane must be parallel to object you wish to render. Not all objects in your scene will work right for your method - it''s only for a single object. Hope that makes sense.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site
The picture you linked to gives you a possible answer. Just ignore the third coordinate. This is called projection to the xy plane.

Easy way:

Pick an axis, then drop that axis componet from your 3D cords. Bingo, you have a 2D projection plane looking down the axis you did away with and no scaling.

Orthographic Projection:

The projections are onto one of the cord planes x=0, y=0, or z=0. Basicly the same as above but more proper wording. To do an orthographic projection from an arbitrary view you first must determain your objects position in view space from world space, and then drop what will be your cord representing depth in the view space before putting it in 2D screen space.

[Edit]Typos will be the end of me![/Edit]

[edited by - thewayout_is_through on November 1, 2002 9:34:06 PM]
"Who are you, and how did you get in here?""I''m the locksmith, and I''m the locksmith."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement