i hate this site's Forum Service

Started by
56 comments, last by DirectXXX 21 years, 3 months ago
I have seen many beautiful forums on net and this site has old unstable forum. Why dont gamedev spend some money and buy a good forum like on. www.cgtalk.com you can make your avators, birthday, ## people are onlne and many other services.
3D Side-Scroller game demo Project-X2 "playable"Lashkar: A 3D Game & Simulation Project demo @ lashkar.berlios.de
Advertisement
Why don''t you colaborate and make a donation to buy that beautiful forum?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
quote:
Why dont gamedev spend some money and buy a good forum like on.

I'm sure that GDNet would appreciate it, if you send them the $15,000 they need to keep the site going for 6 months, plus what each staff member earns in his real life job during that time period (yes, they have real life jobs, they do not only exist for this site, you know), so they can spend their time developing and adapting brand new forum software, just for you.

quote:
you can make your avators, birthday, ## people are onlne and many other services.

Yes, those are really wonderfull features, so extremely useful. They definitely are worth spending lots of cash onto new software, server and service. [/irony]

But don't worry, work is being to done to port the forums to a new system. If you had read some other threads in this forum, before posting your rant, you would have noticed that.

[edited by - Yann L on December 30, 2002 4:23:45 AM]
quote:Original post by DirectXXX
I have seen many beautiful forums on net and this site has old unstable forum.
I must say I find Gamedev''s forums very beautiful, and I hope indeed that they do not change the layout/colors when the new s/w arrives. The day these forum turns into one of these seemingly popular bright sissy forums, is the day I leave!

i don''t care about how it looks just the stability. its a great forum, regardless. i rarley get http 500 errors anymore, i used to get them like 5-10 times per post.
I agree, these forums are old-technology. They are in need of an update.. But migrating to new forums isn''t as simple as buying new forum software. We have 800K posts and I think 40K user accounts to consider. Plus things like Avatars aren''t really something we want on this site. If anything, we want forums that better serve the interests of game developers more than extra features like when a user has their birthday.

---
Michael Tanczos
quote:Original post by CWizard
I must say I find Gamedev''s forums very beautiful, and I hope indeed that they do not change the layout/colors when the new s/w arrives. The day these forum turns into one of these seemingly popular bright sissy forums, is the day I leave!

I agree. Gdnet''s forums are easy on the eyes.Some forums color schemes are so bright they hurt my eyes.
And so, the evil religion thread stole the wonderful "What the Heck?" thread's throne. Truly a sad day for gamedev.
I really loathe this forum''s color scheme. It reminds me of dreary rainy days. I''m not saying it should be bright, but I hate pale blue with dark gray. I mean, gimme a break.

Other than that, the forums are fine.

~CGameProgrammer( );
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
quote:Original post by CGameProgrammer
It reminds me of dreary rainy days.

~CGameProgrammer( );

I like rainy days
And so, the evil religion thread stole the wonderful "What the Heck?" thread's throne. Truly a sad day for gamedev.
Rainy days are good coding days.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement