[java] Reasons to make games in java?

Started by
20 comments, last by ARCHIGAMER 23 years, 11 months ago
why should you make games in java besides it compatible across all operating systems?
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
Advertisement
Some programmers like the fact that you don''t have to worry about pointers.

-Mezz
A quote from our FAQ at http://games.cpbinc.com/faq/

"Q. What role can Java play in Game Development?

Java offers increased developer productivity both in development and debugging over lower level languages such as C and C++. Still, most people would agree that Java will not be the development tool of choice for ‘traditional’ commercial games. In commercial game development projects cutting-edge performance is more important than cost and time savings.

However, Java may play a role in game development in a couple of other areas:

Advertisement and Web Site Enhancements: Discovery Online and Disney''s web sites comes to mind - they frequently make applet based games available as part of their marketing and/or education efforts.

Customization and Mods: I have seen discussions pertaining to the use of some kind of JVM hooks for scripting mods and customizations to games. This has already been done with the Quake engine by third parties.

Two Part Game Engines: Java based game logic executables on top of a core game engine in C or C++. This way you would get the performance benefits of C for the performance sensitive components of the game and the developer productivity benefits of Java for the non-performance critical game logic. With JIT technology this seems very feasible (the game logic gets compiled as the level loads, for example).

Steve Anichini of Jellyvision on C++/Java engines.

Cross platform game development: Now that Linux is gaining in popularity there MAY be an actual use for cross-platform game development. Some game genres, such as turn based strategy games, don''t need cutting edge performance and could be developed in Java (taking advantage of the cross platform aspects).

Amateur Developers: The number one problem for most amateur developers is finding time to actually finish your game. Java can help, and most amateurs don’t need cutting edge graphics and multimedia so Java’s performance will suffice. (Jerry_Lynn)"
Hey, I think pointers are very useful.

lntakitopi@aol.com | http://geocities.com/guanajam/
i am talking about applications?..it sounds like you are talking about online web browser based games or is that the only way you can use java?...i am not sure
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
Well, networking, at least for me was a cinch to implement. I don''t know how easy it is for WinSock or DirectPlay compared to Java, but there''s a plus for doing a game via a Java application.

Let''s see, what else....hmmm. Nothing much else comes to mind

JoeG
joeG
Actually, just thinking about it, Java has some virtues. Namely, since it''s cross-platform, it''s kind of like a console system. (And any programmer could guess that a console system like a Nintendo 64 would be a whole lot easier to write for than Windows!) There''s one standard and it all comes out the same (unlike java-script.) Darnit, you guys are going to make me go buy a Java compiler or whatever you use.

lntakitopi@aol.com | http://geocities.com/guanajam/
From my humble experiance with it so far, Doing graphics in Java seems easier then in, say, VC++.

However, I''m not about to write a game in Java just yet. Mainly because it''s still to easy to decompile to code into it''s original source. Variable names and all. This really bothers me.

(Although it''s become a nice source of sample code)

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
Heh if you think you can escape pointers in Java you are dead wrong =P
There is no pointer math and garbage collection keeps you from shooting yourself in the foot with deletes (sort of). However, almost everything in Java is a pointer - hence the need to instansiate everything and why == usually won''t work =-)
Java is way much easier than C++ and you don''t have to buy 200$ compieler to get at least good compieler, because Sun proviedes all you need. Also, Java is way much logical and you can write purely in oop

Time comes, time goes and I only am.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement