Starting a game development company

Started by
20 comments, last by cortex 23 years, 10 months ago
I have interest in starting a game development company sooner or later .. and I would like to talk about some point to give me a guideline of what to do .. 1)Will a business degree will help me before starting the company ? if yes, in what way ? 2)Supposing after university, with a demo, design doc, business doc etc.. of my project, what''s my chance with a major publisher ? 3)Does I am on the good path ? P.S: I am not a kid who''s joking about that. I am playing game for 15years now on every system, I know what''s make a good game or not. you can reply to this message on the message board or at this email : cossin@hotmail.com
Advertisement
Spelling and grammar will probably be your downfall. Am I being mean??

ECKILLER
ECKILLER
Games, so many people want in.
I think if you really want it you can have it, but I hope youre prepared for the incredable amount of work that comes along with it(witch I''m gessing you are)

A business degree i''m not sure about, most likeley it will. But I have no idea about that. But When you do decide to finally take the steps and take the first steps on presenting your idea to a publisher, you''ll NEED to prepare a game design document and a Demo is GREAT to show.

The chances that they will accept your offer depends entirely on how good your game concept is and how big a risk they consider you to be. Your game need to be Unique, different and fun. Producers like (to my understanding) games that have never been done before. But that doesn''t mean something already done can''t be greatley improved.

good luck.

Did I miss anything?

--Here to make your day--

Things you need:

Good software, lots of talent, some money, and a GOOD IDEA!!

Check? Then make your game. When you need other people to take you seriously, one of the biggest things in this new virtual age is:

Get your own domain. It''s done wonders for me. Know one wants to associate with a game company that has a geocities website.

that''s all the advice I have for now, but it''s late and I''m tired

P.S. This post SHOULD make me a zealot (not that I care )

Alex the Enigma
atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
your chance with a major publisher? I''d say about zero. Game development is a risky buisiness. They aren''t just going to throw money at you and hope for a game in return. Really if you''re just out of college you''re a nobody, at least from their point of view.

Try getting a job a game studio and then work your way up. Then after a while try for a deal with a publisher. If you want to make your own game now well then, you''ll have to make it on a budget of 0. If you can get some dedicated people with skills and the desire to complete the project then yeah maybe you can pull off a game. However the publishers are going to pay you after you make the game instead of before, they just aren''t going to take the risk. Oh and someone said go for something unique. The tried and true stuff tends to make better games and is less risky. Not that innovation is inherently bad, it''s just overrated.
Ok .. I agree with a lot of you ..

Now Let''s discuss about my answer to your reply :

Right now I am preparing for the the incredable amount of work that comes with (Starting the business, running it, think about all of the different departments of the company, determine the legal, financial, and governmental requirements that it takes to open the business, etc..)

That''s why (the above) I think I should get a Business Degree ! (better management, control, understanding of the whole process on starting the company)

also, I already finished a game design document and I would probably hire a artist for the game demo (not working code, but very good looking profesionnal animation) while doing my BA in university !

As for the *if it''s a good idea* the concept of the game is revolutionary and greatly improved from other style, with never seen before gameplay experience, and sub-concept who give it more credit & originality. Innovative & have very good potential to sell .. The game doesn''t compete with any major franchised game like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Resident Evil (but it''s a deriviation of this type of game (gaming experience, camera etc..)).. so it''s not a very big risk for the publisher.

Now for the 2 points I am misunderstanding :

1) It''s the funding of the company

2) How to put a profesionnal team together without the money of a publisher (before)!?

PS: (It''s a console game) It''s practilly impossible to save money for this kind of project (like the way you see things, while going work for other company).... and also : <> (alway''s refering to the anonymous post) a friend of mine was sitting with the VP of EA the other day... who asked him blank question like : What''s make your game THE GAME, the game who magazine will tell good review of it etc.. and I found myself with all the answer of theses questions...

AtypicalAlex : truely agree with you, a lot more if the game contain some online multiplayer elements....

In brief: I think that depend''s on the quality of the concept. (take the example of relic(Homeworld) 2millions from sierra ...)

I if you want to go to a publisher, then try
Xtreme Games LLC (www.xgames3d.com)

They give you a 50% cut of the profit, and they can also
give you alot of help with development and also provide
you with Artists and Musicians if you need it.
Check out their website to find out more.

I agree with the previous anonymous poster.

Your best career path is to get a position at an established development house/publisher, learn the ropes, make industry contacts, gather a crew of experienced coders, artists and designers and then break off and form your own company.

$0.02
I agree, start at a games dev. studio of a publisher. If you earn a salary with some possible bonus royalties of the games you worked on it''s nice. If you have an own games dev. company it''s difficult to work with publishers . Only Scott Miller and other industry legends will have it better as an independant development studio in relationship with big publishers. But we will have it difficult, for us only the little publishers gives opportunities.
Read also on gamasutra what happened with Looking glass studio''s.

etc.http://www.gamasutra.com/newswire/news/index20000522.htm#r1

Read this article:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article867.asp
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/business/features/screwup

quote: I am playing game for 15years now on every system, I know what''s make a good game or not.

Sorry, but this sounds both arrogant and naive. Nearly all development teams are led by people with -lots- of experience. But they make poor games too, so there''s no reason to believe you wouldn''t. Example: Richard Garriot has been making games since the early 1980s, and his presence on the Ultima 9 project didn''t stop it being something of a complete failure. What is a ''fun'' game is down to opinion. And implementing your opinion is limited by your resources. Nobody deliberately sets out to make a poor game.

I''m not saying you can''t succeed, just don''t go thinking that you have The Idea. It''s more down to implementation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement