LOTR 2003 Contest, TTT

Started by
59 comments, last by vincoof 20 years, 7 months ago
For those of you that haven''t read the news at NeHe Productions, you gotta know that a new contest is opened ! The Contest is based on the second Lord Of The Rings movie : The Two Towers. The deadline should be very long ; more information will be available when the contest page will be written. If you''re interested by the contest, I suggest that you let him know by email ! Good luck to anyone that enters.
Advertisement
I don''t think it truely is open, but the fact it''s announced is giving everyone ages to think and implement something. Probably much longer than for previous contests.

Should be good though. Shame I lack the skills yet
Ah we''ll see, I might have a crack at it....
I like pie! - weebl.
Oneiric - Another graphics engine in the works.
I for one would like rules for the contest to be posted up.

I''d like something along the lines of:

no copyright materials (images/sounds) whatsoever

everyone starts with a nehe base code, (ie, noone uses their own engine - because I know I''d be tempted to )

no metaballs/knots/whatnot (a personal hate of mine - they ruin contests like this in my opinion - don''t show effort)

lastly, everyone must have fun and learn a lot

| - Project-X - my mega project.. getting warmer - | - adDeath - an ad blocker I made - | - email me - |
Just got back... I''ve been away for two days now...

This is just what I''ve ben waiting for!

And I agree with RipTorn on all the points he mentioned! Seen to many metaballs now

I also want to know if there will b e a demo-size restriction, and things like that...
I''m OK with no metabals/procedural objects except if you use them for come clevr thing (procedureal city/forest anyone?)

But I''m but totaly against the idea starting from basecode... that''s just lame... and how you''re gonna enforce it anyway?

As for copyrights.. nobody realy want''s to hear what I have to say... couse I''m totaly against DMCA & stuff like that [no falmes please]

@Juicy : Give it a go. Deadline is somewhere in summer. you can learn alot till then.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
I think the basecode thing would be impossible to determine. You wouldn''t be able to tell which are scratch-started demos.

About the copyright thing. Although I''m not going to state my views on the subject, if there is a rule (as there has been in all the past demos) about making sure you have the appropriate copyrights, someone, justly or unjustly, will not. I think all NeHe needs to do is slap on a great big disclaimer, because short of disqualifying entries which break this rule.

On that topic, I''d like to see stricter rules enforcing. In contests where say there is a 5mb limit, a small variation around this is OK, but something like 7mb is too far out, and shouldn''t be allowed in.
Juicy: email NeHe. Tell him that "Shame I lack the skills yet" for entering the contest. I guess I already know the answer.

Rules such as filesize and copyrights should be defined in the rules. Needless to worry for now. Just be patient !

Actually the NeHe basecode only concerns window initialization and resize. Even though I might use this basecode, it doesn't mean anything to me that "we all may use NeHe's basecode" simply because everyone's engine could be ported to NeHe-compliant window within 2-3 hours. IMHO the only important points about the engine is that :
- all source code must be available,
- and it must use OpenGL.

Mirko: Procedural cities ? I didn't know that TTT took place in San Francisco

[edited by - vincoof on April 16, 2003 4:51:23 PM]
Vincent : I was thinking of the city/village from where the people escaped to helm''s deep (I can''t remember the name) and the ruiend city where frodo faces dragon-riders.. (the whole procedural thing was more of a joke.. but it might be worth trying.. )

I think all of RipTorns ideas are good ideas... there area alot of effects that get over used, and usually have nothing to do with the theme anyways... When I'm watching a lotr entry, I want to see effects that I can go "Yeah, that's cool... just like the movie" or "that made me think of a scene from the movie".

The copyright issue is VERY tough to enforce. I could say "If you include copyrighted material, your demo will be rejected". But doing this leaves non musicians and non artists scrambling for music or graphics. In the case of graphics, it's a shame when the end result of using textures that may or may not be copyrighted (who can tell with textures) causes a demo that may have placed high or won to be eliminated.

Basecode usage is nice, only because it shows site visitors that you can take the code already made, and create amazing stuff from it. Many people seem to think you have to have an overly complex basecode to do even the easiest thing. We all know it's not the basecode that makes the demo. As mentioned above, the basecode is just the foundation. Always a hard one to enforce, and personally, I really don't care, as long as the code is included with the demo.

In regards to file size... It's again tough... some people can make amazing demos in under a meg... others require 5+ megs. The biggest waster of space is usually music (complete mp3 sound tracks). With the IPicture code, there is no excuse NOT to use .JPG or .GIF's for graphics. I think the limit will probably be around 7.5 megs. But I welcome feedback.

[edited by - nehe on April 16, 2003 10:02:34 PM]
I think we should all use the NeHe basecode using standard basecode means everyone has an idea where your effects begin and the basecode ends - newbs included. Besides, an engine is not that hard to port - and the porting time gives us newbs a chance to catch up

As for copyrights, since its hard to enforce we could introduce conditions:

- Every piece of copyrighted material must be altered in some way such that NeHe cannot be sued

- Demos must, in some way show programming merrit. A demo that is mostly copyrighted material will be disqualified

- Copyrighted material is secondary to the demo and when judging is treated as material that was used to complete the demo

- Demos that show more programing merrit will be juged better than those who rely more on copyrighted material

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement