Can one use a pirate 3D software ?

Started by
16 comments, last by ATILLA 23 years, 10 months ago
First of all: this question is totally THEORETICAl !! Now, let''s suppose the next situation. Someone makes animations, models, etc. for a game. After publishing the game, can anyone ask this man whether his/her 3D program is pirate or not?
Advertisement
WTF? Could you please explain your question a little better?
Sure. Anyone can ask him. Whether or not he answers is another question....
Shoot Pixels Not People
Is it legal to publish a game, written, modelled, animated with pirate 3D softwares ?
I don''t see why not...
After all, who need know?
Unless of course you start to use commercial libraries etc. for which licensing may be applicable.
r.
Could you please explain what is WTF ? I never heard it before.

Ask me Jonny !! Don''t forget, i''m sitting next to you!
Its not legal, but i don''t think you can get caught. For you can lie and they can''t prove anything. Just say you modeled everything from a freeware model. Just have your pirate stuff in a easy place to delete in case the feds come. I remember i knew these guys who were printing out counterfeit money. The feds came to there house...the rest of the story isn''t very good-what happened to them.

ECKILLER
ECKILLER
You think I''d be shot dead by SWAT or else?
Thanks to God software police isn''t too busy in my country
So, another question. Would any big publisher (f.e. SSI)
publish a game made with pirate software ?
Using pirated software for a commercial game is not only foolish it''s a bad buisness decision.

In order for a publisher to publish your game they have you sign a form which gives them the right to come and audit your computer. This includes all software licences which they can and will verify. This protects the publisher from lawsuits. And if your publisher doesn''t do something like this then both you and the publisher can be sued by the products manufacturer. Now if you get your game out, and you''ve used a pirated peice of software. You may think your safe but a lawsuit that involves you and using an illegal product to create it can come years down the road. Now we need to think about what the courts will decide. Your not going to get out of this one free, your best bet would be to settle out of court. But if the product makers lawyers decide they''ve got you by the nuts (which they do), they''ll take you to court where and if they win you''ll end up loosing any money you made with the product and you can also add another 25% on top of that for reperations. Now it''s not above many companies to throw their specific "FILE Id''s" into the renders, and images made with their products. So they can always verify the ID number that''s in the file.

So the quetion is how big of a risk do you want to take?
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement