Bad dynamic heap objects found

Started by
10 comments, last by n0rmanfreak 20 years ago
hi! when i try my midlet on a siemens s55 i get the following error : Bad dynamic heap objects found.... can anybody tell me what might be the problem. everything runs fine at the wtk2.1 emulator...and i didnt find anything useful about that errormessage on the web... thx in advance freAKs h0me
Advertisement
Well without using my amazing powers to see your code and read your mind etc
i think it may have something to do with you using MIDP2 while the S55 is a midp1 phone?

Will you app run on a series40 emulator?
Or compile on WTK1

Brian
hi!

well i don't think it's a problem with midp1.0 because i made it with the wtk2.1 options set to only use midp1.0 classes...
that should be the same as run on the wtk 1 and with that it runs fine in the emulator

another idea ??

i'd post code if i had the slightest idea what cases the error....and i don't want to post the entire code

freAKs h0me

[edited by - n0rmanfreak on February 4, 2004 1:28:13 PM]
The possible reason could be that u are creating dynamic objects indiscriminately that is not garbage collected. use the memory monitor to find out if it is the reason
hi!

can you please explain this to me....i didnt see anything unusual at the memory monitor.

emulator runs fine...and gc frees mem if needed...

..but if i run it on a s55 it crashes at startup and and gives that error message...will try it on other devices ASAP..

...any other ideas??? thx in advance

freAKs h0me

[edited by - n0rmanfreak on February 10, 2004 3:32:34 PM]
Try commenting out large sections of your code (maybe most of your runnable if you are using one ) and see if you can get it to load on the phones and isolate the problem.
thx !
that''s a good idea.....might be the only way to debug it on a real device.

freAKs h0me
Hello,
I am also getting the same error on starting a game on SL56. I tried the same for M55,S55 and S56 and I am getting the same error "Bad dynamic heap objects found".
Can anybody tell me what it is cause of the error and what might be the possible solution for it?

Anand
anandchaudhari@lambenttek.com
I got the same error with MIDP 1.0 und CLD 1.0, Nokia UI on a Nokia 6610 device. But it happens not often and at no "special point" of the game. The game breaks down and leaves one of those errors:
"Invalid Heap Pointer found"
"Bad dynamic Heap Objects found"

It has nothing to do with overfilling the heap. The message than is "out of memory error". I guess that this might be a possible bug in the kvm. On the web i found this e-mail dialog from 1999:

Quote:
"Bad dynamic Heap Objects found

I have seen this error before when I was using the Runtime.date()
function in the KVM. It took me a week to isolate the problem to
Runtime.date() because it is a bug in the underlying code (behind the
KVM). If you are using this function, this is probably the cause.

If you are not, you have probably uncovered a new bug in the KVM
implementation. My intuition is that this message is an indicator of
buffer overruns or other pointer-type errors typical in C/C++
development. Any of you out there familiar w/ C/C++ development know
what I''m talking about - it''s the equivalent of a core dump. This is why
the KVM is still not released - these VM implementation issues need to
be worked out completely.

Jeff Gibson

P.S. Javasoft, let''s get these fixed so we can move on

Michael Kroll wrote:

> Hi,
> does anybody know what this error means?
>
> Is this a kind of heap overflow?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Bye,
> Michael Kroll"

Is there anybody who knows more about this problem? Perhaps which function or class in the J2ME API causes these errors?
In addition to that, I got another error with the message "heap corrupt" now.
But again it happens not often and at no "special point" of the game. The game breaks down and leaves the message "heap corrupt".
OR:
"invalid heap pointer found"
"bad dynamic heap objects found"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement