GDnet countries [56k, might not be ok]

Started by
33 comments, last by Nervo 20 years, 2 months ago
This thread is for everyone to showcase a country that they live in or are from or even one that fascinates them in some way and reason(s) why. I grew up from 0-10yrs in a "Caribbean" island called Trinidad whose smaller sister island is Tobago. The two islands lie adjacent to Caracas, Venezuela. Primary language spoke is English, and the two main ethnicities are Indian and African. The reason I say "Caribbean" is because geologically and ecologically speaking, Trinidad represents a natural environment similar to South America rather than the Caribbean archipelago. In fact, the Trinidad lies on the South American tectonic plate whereas Tobago lies on the Caribbean plate. But the two islands are only a very short distance apart. The island pair was discovered by Christopher Columbus when he sailed the channel between Trinidad and Venezuela. Tobago tends to attract the most tourism, but more adventurous travels do explore much of Trinidad. I'll point out two things that are of some interest in the main island. In February the country has a large carnival that lasts for a few days. Here is a picture of some lady in bright yellow:

More peculiar is the pitch or asphalt lake that is in the southern part of Trinidad. Its one of the few pitch lakes in the world, and its exported in copious amounts. Here is two pictures of the lake:

Odd looking isn't it?

Here is just some miscellaneous pictures of spots on the island:

Oh, and before I forget, the steel pan whose sound everyone associates with the Caribbean was invented in Trinidad, not Jamaica! [edited by - nervo on February 3, 2004 11:18:34 PM]
Well, R2D22U2..
Advertisement

Buffalo. New York. Yippee.
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)
My ancestral home

these dudes are dorks, they would be much cooler if they wore this tartan pattern:

My ancestors once lived here, Glamis Castle:

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I hail from the land of Washington. The eastern half is flat, dry farmland, and the west is full of trees and mountains. There are some rainforests in the Olypmic Peninsula. Washington is a nice place to come to get away from the major cities such as Los Angles and New York City.

There are lots of good pictures here.
Hungary

Yeah, so what? I have work to do!
home:

You know where that city lies?

Right in the middle of a whole bunch of soy and corn fields.

---------------------------------------------------
laziness is the foundation of efficiency
retrospiral.net | llamas! | megatokyo | gamedev.net | google
Tiffancy_Smith fanboy

[edited by - zer0wolf on February 3, 2004 12:20:29 AM]
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
No one can beat sydney

Oh, this is where i went to high school (its an old train workshop, transformed into a technology park):

And here is my local beach ^_^ (couldn't find any bigger pics ):

- Thomas

[edited by - cow_in_the_well on February 3, 2004 12:31:22 AM]

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

CANADA

I Want My Island
"The same people who so greatly oppose slavery, so much that they are willing to kill over it... have just forced me to fight the battle for them."
- Robert (I Want My Island)

[edited by - black_mage_s on February 3, 2004 12:44:28 AM]
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
My hometown
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
One of my ancestral homes:

GERMANY

"The executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question, whether there is or is not cause for declaring war." -- James Madison--Father of the Constitution

[edited by - Mscgamer on February 4, 2004 1:05:23 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement