How to get started in game design?

Started by
1 comment, last by msteinin 23 years, 8 months ago
I have a project I''m doing in school on what career I would like to pursue in the future. I''d like to be a video game designer. I''m looking for information on what kind of training? Classes? How many years of school? internship? salary range? What types of jobs are there? This is the kind of information I am looking for. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Advertisement
I believe that there salary ranges in Australia between $30000 and $80000. You can get qualifications in this field depending on which country that you come from. Most fulltime-employed game designers have a background in the industry of doing something else first such as programming, graphic design, level design or play tester. Either way, you should have able knowledge about these fields to some degree. Most of the time its a teach yourself career where you have to play games a lot in order to stay up to date with the latest and most successful idea''s. On the creative side of things it all comes down to who you''re working for, the bigger the badder as they say.

I personally keep a number of scrapbooks filled with crazy ideas and thoughts about game design issues. I''m always trying to cram in a little more programming knowledge when i can. I listen to writers for advice. Keep up to date with the latest art proggies and i''m an amateur at heart (and this is just half of it). There''s a hell of a lot in this field to be blunt and everyones advice will differ one way or another. It''s all experience based that''s my best advice.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

It depends on what exatly you want to do.

Game Design (specificly) Is a career in wich you layout a huge list of specific instructions about how the game is going to be made. Game designers must be good writers and have agood logic proscess. What a game designer does, is writes a kind of instruction booklet (sometimes these can be hundreds of pages long) that will givwe the artists and programers directions EXACTLY what to do. If you want to get into this field I suggest going to your local bookstore. There is a few decent books on the topic. In college, you can take a few classes that secialize in this subject.

WHat you probablymeant by game design, is either Programming, 2d/3d artist, Map designer, Story writer, storyboard writer, ect.

If you want to get in the industry you need to start small. It isnt easy. Creating your own game is a good start. You need to be able to do one of the things i mention before. If you cant do all of those things then you may ant to join a team. Start specializing in one of those paticular things. If you get good in a certain area you can join a team. When you get realy good you will al be able to work together to put out some kind of product. If you do this long enough You may want to start looking into publishers. They are your key to the industry. if you can publish your works and get know, your in. Once you get somehting onto the market you have so much more to work with. Its all a matter of getting people to know who you are.

Go to college and learn all you can about a specific area in gaming. Learn all you can about as much as you can. It isnt the easiest thing to get into but it is by far the most worht it.

Just work at it.

Hope I was of some help. See yah

------------------------
Captured Reality
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-----I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement