Sending your party off

Started by
20 comments, last by Spyder 23 years, 8 months ago
You''ve got too much gold to carry. Or you need that claymore indentified. Or you need some more reagents. But you''re too busy hacking your way through the 9th level the dungeon to go back to town. So why don''t you get one of your NPC party members to do it? I think it''d be cool if you could send your party members off to do things in other towns. You could tell them to buy or sell, or maybe even use their skills. You''d need to be able to set waypoints for them, though, so they didn''t go where you didn''t want them to go. And what if they got ambushed? Well, this would be a risk you''d take, and maybe you''d send your two fighters to protect your mage while he did all of this. Waddaya think? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Kool, but very hard to do... I think you have been playing to much Might and Magic x games (reagent! ha) . Play diablo... Use a portal! . I still think it has merit though.

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
It HAS BEEN done. Years and years ago (more than 10 if I am correct), in a beautiful like RPG called Magic Candle 2.
You could send an NPC of yours to a town and tell him to wait for you there. Or you could leave one of your NPC in a town, to train, while you were off in the wilderness, I think you could even tell the NPC to go somewhere else to meet in case you were late at the rendez-vous.

youpla :-P

Don''t do things because they are easy...
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
ahw- Thank you! I read the first post and I couldn''t remember what the name of that game was!

Personally, I thought it added alot to the game, and isn''t hard to do at all, at least in single player, since the NPC''s would only have to be modeled mathematically. In multi-player, the restriction is that the NPC''s would have to be either really well-scripted or with really flexible AI, because other players would be trying to interact w/ them.

For anybody out there experienced with programming systems, even on pen & paper, how would you model the first-player scenario?
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
I found this link to Magic Candle . I think it''s considered abandonware.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends up making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:
Dwarfsoft Wrote:
Play diablo... Use a portal!

This was an easy but brilliant way to take you back to town without going the long way round.Excellent design to my opinion!

I have Magic Candle in my abandonware download list(i'm a maniac collector of abandonware games,over 230) but after what you say here i'll give it some priority.

Voodoo4

Edited by - Voodoo4 on August 15, 2000 4:26:05 AM
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
LOL! I definitely like the linking of casting->quick town, but for an undefined town, you may be able to set waypoints wherever you want to go, and then move around using the "symbol save" idea that someone came up with

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
quote:Original post by ahw

It HAS BEEN done. Years and years ago (more than 10 if I am correct), in a beautiful like RPG called Magic Candle 2.
You could send an NPC of yours to a town and tell him to wait for you there. Or you could leave one of your NPC in a town, to train, while you were off in the wilderness, I think you could even tell the NPC to go somewhere else to meet in case you were late at the rendez-vous.

AWESOME!!! I HAVE to check this game out. It''d be very interesting if things could happen to your party while they''re away; maybe they could be kidnapped, or make discoveries on their own, or find out rumors by hanging out in the tavern while you''re away.

I like the rendezvous point thing. Wouldn''t it be great if your loyal NPCs came looking for you if you were late? Maybe they could even break you out of prison!

Hmmmm... this could be really cool... what else could they do???

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
quote:Original post by dwarfsoft

Kool, but very hard to do... I think you have been playing to much Might and Magic x games (reagent! ha) . Play diablo... Use a portal! . I still think it has merit though.

Okay, you''re right. Travel is a bad idea, a portal is better. I could see doing this, however, with a table of random events run every once in awhile while the NPC is in town. Like I mentioned above, they could hear or see something interesting and tell you about it when you got back. The really tough part would be their level of autonomy. If they see badguys come into town, do they wait for you, or try to take them out on their own. Heck, this could be built into the NPC''s personality (cautious or foolhearty...)
Won''t be easy to do, you''re right. ''Course, if we all stick to only the easy stuff we''ll be playing Diablo XXIV before ya'' know it.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
NO NO NO NO NO ! Portal is *BAD*
That''s the worst damn solution. It just oozes the weak design, the absence of creativity.
I mean, come on, I can accept it in "Sliders" (the series), I like it in Ultima, because they are not portable, and they fit into a nice stone circle, but this, "hey, open the portal, we have to escape NOW!" is just SOOOOOO far stretched.
That''s probably the one cliche we forgot to mention in the cliche thread.

Please, let''s do something more creative, or at least a bit more interesting than "press the button to disappear".

I guess it''s just that I like when magic is a really powerful thing in my games. If anyone can use a power like teleport anyplace anytime without having to have done years and years of study, please tell me what''s the fuc*ing point of being a magician ?

mmmh. I want elitist magic.

youpla :-P

---
A vaincre sans peril, on meurt sans gloire.
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement