Trolls, orcs, goblins and $$

Started by
27 comments, last by Spyder 23 years, 8 months ago
Someone mentioned trolls can''t carry money, it''s unrealistic. But they sure can!
Advertisement
But spiders, rats, bats and snakes sure can''t. Or maybe they could carry a coin or a small pouch in their mouth.

-Jussi
Some animals collect small items of jewelery, stones or gold coins. It''s not unrealistic to kill a raven, and find a small gold coin in it''s nest? Other than that i agree with you.
Yes, but is it realistic to find 30 gold coins from the body of a spider or rat (as in eg. ADOM and Ultima 9)?

-Jussi
??? why is this point even being raised?
how real should a game be, so real that players kill trolls at night, then have to get at least 3 hours sleep. Then wake up at the crack of dawn, go to the bakery and bake break, then after working for 4 days finally get paid 10 gold. That doesn't sound like fun does it? Well it's not and neither is running around chopping up evil monsters and animals only get to get a handful of blood and guts and no gold.
The question shouldn't be "how real should this game be?"
the question should be "will this game be fun to play?"

Edited by - Devon on August 23, 2000 8:45:10 AM
I''ve played Adom but not U9. Not its not realistic to find 30 gold coins rofl
HAHAHA devon the way you put it, makes the whole rpg must be realistic frenzy really seem as sad it is.
Just because a game is realistic, it does not mean it is boring. In a medieval game, if your current goal is to make a little cash. Do not go out hunting wild animals because you will not find it. If you encounter a wild animal, avoid it.

Later,
Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

quote:Original post by Devon

??? why is this point even being raised?

One word. Immersion. There''s a gamasutra article by Ernest Adams that talks about internal consistency, and it hits the nail right on the head. (He also wrote a great "letter from a dungeon" that''s along this line as well.)

Any time you''re playing a game and you''re reminded that it''s a game, you''re pulled out of the game. This doesn''t mean that the "kill things and voila! money pops out of them" mechanism shouldn''t be used, it should just be used more cleverly.

For instance, I''ve heard others on this board suggest bounties for wolf hides and such. Much better than killing a wolf and suddenly finding 150 gold pieces plus some plate mail. I mean, wtf?!?! It''s designer laziness, really...

I also think the younger your audience, or the less "into" the game world they are, the more you can pop money out of carcasses all day long. These people don''t care about the depth of the game world, and I''d wager that in this case they wouldn''t care about detailed characters, great plot, or abilities other than combat. Not a problem, really, just an observation...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
But don''t we get gold, armor and weapons from monster poop?

Whenever I go into an RPG, there are always lots of spare weapons and gold around, usually with a bunch of monsters hanging around. I never see anyone mining or smelting ore, so it''s not being dug out of the ground by normal NPCs.

There''s never any other adventurers going through the dungeons, so the stuff has to come from the monsters. Most monsters don''t use weapons or gold. There are plenty that can''t use the stuff lying around. They obviously aren''t carrying it externally since you would see that a spider is dragging around plate mail. It only appears when the beastie gets splattered, which implies some sort of internal storage.

All of which leads me to think that the stuff is a biological byproduct of the monsters, the way spice is a biological byproduct of the worms in Dune.

It''s monster poop!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement