Downloading from my own website

Started by
5 comments, last by Jason Zelos 19 years, 9 months ago
I have my own website hosted with an external webhosting company.Can i configure my website to enable downloading of java midlets OTA on handphones?
Advertisement
All the site needs to do is support the appropiate MIME types:

jad - text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor
jar - application/java-archive

That's enough to directly download the application (ie, browse directly to the jad file).

If you want to set up a download page you'll also need to have the MIME type for WML(since most phones' browsers don't understand HTML):

wml - text/vnd.wap.wml

So you'll need to ask your host to configure their web server to support these MIME types (if they don't already do).

Here's an article explaining the whole process

shmoove
Just out of curiosity could you browse to a conventioal website URL (ASP Script) and accept a forced HTTP stream with appropriate MIME headers. I ask because forceing MIME headers in relativly easy, (And I'm curious [smile]).

Jay
You mean setting the MIME type with the Response object?
If that's the case then I believe the answer is positive. I haven't tried it myself, but the phone won't have a way of knowing that the MIME was set dynamically and not configured in the server.

But usually, if you have a web host that supports ASP, then configuring MIME types shouldn't be a problem either.

shmoove
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You mean setting the MIME type with the Response object?
If that's the case then I believe the answer is positive. I haven't tried it myself, but the phone won't have a way of knowing that the MIME was set dynamically and not configured in the server.

But usually, if you have a web host that supports ASP, then configuring MIME types shouldn't be a problem either.

shmoove

If you are allowed to play with IIS, for a managed service they tend to cost change controls for that sort of thing and I'm too tight to pay [wink].

Cheers for the info.

Jay
Quote:Original post by shmoove
All the site needs to do is support the appropiate MIME types:

jad - text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor
jar - application/java-archive

That's enough to directly download the application (ie, browse directly to the jad file).

If you want to set up a download page you'll also need to have the MIME type for WML(since most phones' browsers don't understand HTML):

wml - text/vnd.wap.wml

So you'll need to ask your host to configure their web server to support these MIME types (if they don't already do).

Here's an article explaining the whole process

shmoove

Ok,thanx for the reply.My webhosting company says they can't add those MIME types for me.So i guess i have to look for another webhosting company then.
If your host supports ASP, try this.

I've tried something similar to post zip files and it works ok ut I've left the source at work so this might be buggy as its written from memory.

Jay

<%Dim objFSODim objFileDim FilePathFilePath = Request.QueryString'Create FileSystem ObjectSet objFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")'Create FileIf objFSO.FileExists(FilePath) Then     Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile(FilePath)     Response.ContentType("application/java-archive")     Response.Write(objFile.Read)     objFile.CloseEnd IfSet objFSO = Nothing%>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement