Setting tone with backstory

Started by
27 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 6 months ago
I''m trying to set the tone for a game and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I''d like the game fiction to explain who you are, why the setting is the way it is, and why you''re doing what you''re doing in the game. But after several revisions I''m still unahppy with what I have. The game is an RPG / RTS. You''re in a solar system filled with asteroids (no planets). You pilot a single ship, and can trade, fight, and negotiate with different asteroid bases in the system (who are doing the same with one another). The catch is that you''re supposed to be something special. Your ship is faster and more powerful than any individual craft, but you could be overwhelmed by many. The idea is that you can tip the balance of power in a way that wins the game. Here are my (bare bones, few details) drafts: First draft: An industrial accident long ago fragmented planets and destroyed civilization. Your people were among the first to rebuild after the fall, and now your government has decided to rebuild the rest of civilization. Your task is to get the squabbling powers (asteroid bases) to unify so that you can complete this task. Benefits: Explains the game setting (asteroids) and why you''re special. Sets a pretty positive, high minded tone. Problems: Locks you into being goody two-shoes. Doesn''t leave room for some of the dastardly things you can do (steal from bases, start inter-base wars). Doesn''t support player vs. player conflict (aren''t you on the same team?) Second draft: You''re a privateer looking to make a fortune in a ruined but mineral rich alien system. So is everyone else (bases included). Benefits: Explains player vs. player conflict. Don''t have to explain why there are no planets (it''s a mysterious, alien system). Problems: Why are you special? Why are you high-tech? Third draft: Mixing first and second, you''re an explorer / freelancer recontacting a lost colony. You''ve come because there''s danger, mystery, and opportunity. Depending on what secret society / organization financed your trip here, your goal is to rebuild, conquer, or plunder. Benefits: Heh, looks more promising than the others Problems: ???? Contrived and unfocused, I think. Suggestions? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Though the ancient and dead civilization is one of my favorite themes, it''s getting a little tired. If you can avoid moralizing, I''d say go with it.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Haven''t had much time to write a little something, so before I do, you might want to chek out the source of my inspiration : the ancient RogueTrader background universe. As they say, they don''t do anything like that anymore ...
could you as well give your opinion on the page above, as if you don''t like the "atmosphere", then I might as well not write my ideas, and keep them for myself

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
How about:
You grew up on the [insert player''s chosen ship name here]. Everyone you knew was part of this self-contained little world. Your mom was the astrogator, your dad was the cook, your uncle was the captain, your uncle''s partner was the trade officer, your aunt was the weapons officer, your grandma was in charge of all you cousins, etc. Now all of that is gone.
[For some emotionally involving plot related reason] you are alone on asteroid base Zephyr. You have just enough money to outfit your own new ship. What will you do? Get revenge/luxury by turning to a life of piracy? Find a wife/husband and start rebuilding your dynasty? Roll with the punches and keep your honor by remaining and honest trader? Pour all your energy into uniting the political factions so that this kind of disaster will never destroy another innocent merchant family?

(This was loosely inspired by C. J. Cherrhy''s _Merchanter''s_Luck_)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I think that you should consider WHAT the player can do, do you want to give them the freedom to cheat, steal, blow up etc. (Sounds like fun to me).

Or will you allow them THE OPTION to try and make the universe a better place?

Or just have them play for the cutthroat commercial & gameplay competition.

If you want to put in diplomacy features and dialogue trees or even just a sign language system?, then maybe the ability to try and change the social structure of the system would be worth putting in there?
i like the idea of working to unifying the estranged colonist. that could only be a part of the game though. you could have the first part of the game consist of unifying these people and organizing in to a large force. then this entire organized colony can move as one from the asteroids to a new home world, and begin to 'move in'.

the game could start with the player returning from a long journey to find a new home planet for these people. you were elected because of family stature and you are the implied ruler. you are given the swiftest most confortable ship and a crew of the best and bravest to find a home. the game begins with your return; a home is found. you organize the race, gather resources, and prepare. then when you are ready you leave with only what you have amassed. you can leave at any time, but the more you get, the more you take with you...but patience comes at a price: if you wait too long the planet you found may have been inhabited by another race, and you'd have to fight for it.

once you leave and arrive at the new home world, you have to set up. this might require you purge the resident beings, and defend it from outsiders. you use the resources and people to gathered in the first part of the game to set up and begin the new civilization. the game ends when the civ is established, maybe when something like the first child of the new world is born or something.

this is probably way far from what you had in mind, but i just started typing and the ideas flowed...

<(o)>

Edited by - aDasTRa on September 21, 2000 4:05:02 PM
<(o)>
As the aforementioned privateer or pirate, you''ve been chased (or exiled) into this region of space for your crimes. Alternatively, you could be a political exile fleeing assassins. This would explain why your ship differs from those in the current region, and allows for various plot points and goals. Maybe you must gain control of a large portion of the sector before your enemies gather an invasion force. Maybe you need the political clout of a large guild or nation (created in this asteroid field and headed by yourself) to negotiate your return to "civilization".
Also, this concept could be used to prepare for sequels... after gaining power in this space, the protagonist could move on to other regions, or into politics as a regional governor, etc.

"Don''t tell me how hard you work. Tell me how much you get done." - James J. Ling
"Don''t tell me how hard you work. Tell me how much you get done." - James J. Ling
quote:Original post by ahw

Haven''t had much time to write a little something, so before I do, you might want to chek out the source of my inspiration : the ancient RogueTrader background universe. As they say, they don''t do anything like that anymore ...
could you as well give your opinion on the page above, as if you don''t like the "atmosphere", then I might as well not write my ideas, and keep them for myself

Thanks ahw, I checked it out. It reminds me a lot of the Warhammer or Emperor of the Fading Suns universe. It looks cool, but I have a pet peeve with science fiction settings that are really medieval dark ages with starships and blasters. Traveller, Warhammer, Noble Armada, EotFS, and a lot of other games seem to do this.

I think I''m looking more for a freewheeling, advemturous universe where the little guy has a chance. RT''s universe seems a bit darker and more formal / oppressive. (But thanks for the suggestion! )

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
quote:Original post by sunandshadow

How about:

(snip great suggestion)

(This was loosely inspired by C. J. Cherrhy''s _Merchanter''s_Luck_)

S&S,

Thanks, I love Cherryh''s space trader writing. I just finished "Heavy Time" and it really captures what life might be like as a hard rock miner when we get out there.

Your story setup makes for some cool motivation and gives a lot of immediate character and flavor. My only problem is that I wouldn''t be able to apply such a specific situation to multiplayer. It''d work great for single player, tho!

It''d be great if I could compose a compelling setup that worked well for single *and* multiplayer. I''m trying to avoid the lame, crappy "You''re one of 4 factions fighting over..." nonesense that seems justify multiplayer mode in *every* RTS storyline.

Although... maybe I could concoct several stories like this? Then, relationships and abilities and such would be like playing a side in an RTS? Have to think about this more!

--------------------
quote:Original post by Ketchaval

I think that you should consider WHAT the player can do, do you want to give them the freedom to cheat, steal, blow up etc. (Sounds like fun to me).

Yup, they can do this!

quote:
Or will you allow them THE OPTION to try and make the universe a better place?

I''m struggling with this one, and *how* it might work.

quote:
Or just have them play for the cutthroat commercial & gameplay competition.

This seems to be the most straight forward and easy to understand. It also seems to work well for multiplayer.

quote:
If you want to put in diplomacy features and dialogue trees or even just a sign language system?, then maybe the ability to try and change the social structure of the system would be worth putting in there?

Right now it''s just a souped up game of Asteroids with some combat, trading and RTS elements. I thought diplomacy could work as it does in 4X civilization games: You make peace, declare war, give gifts, try to buy status, etc.

I''m not sure how changing the social structure would work. Are you saying that you could use different populations like resources? Any ideas how this might work?

--------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement