Linux code on Windows Me: OpenGL/SDL/Mingw + Nvidia drivers = crash/OS won't boot?

Started by
32 comments, last by owl 19 years, 7 months ago
So, I was procrastinating at home, when I suddently came up with a wonderful idea: Lets install the ol' windoze millenium and Mingw Studio for windoze and see how much it takes to make my little OpenGL game run on it... After setting everything up, I just copied my project folder to my fat32 partition, and after adjusting some include file paths, setting the correct libraries and quoting some ogl extension code I got my game running. I think it took me arround 15-20 minutes. The code written by myself needed ZERO adjustement to compile, which I think it's all merit of the compiler and it's warnings. But... guess what, on linux I used to get arround 170 FPS without Vsinc, and top frame rate with Vsinc on. On windoze: 63 without Vsinc and only 38 with Vsinc on! My God, what am I supposed to do now? :) Anybody else has experienced this? Thanks in advance. [Edited by - owl on September 21, 2004 4:56:38 PM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
Did you install new drivers? If your program returing any gl errors/warnings?
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Quote:Original post by owl
windoze millenium
for windoze
On windoze:

Do you expect people to take this post seriously?
Mingw Studio

Damn it, does everyone know about this IDE? I was searching for a good linux IDE for weeks and I stumbled upon MinGW Studio a few days ago by chance. It's excellent! What's interesting is that nobody ever suggested it but now that I found it I see posts about it popping up all over the place. [smile]
63 without Vsinc and only 38 with Vsinc on!

Did you profile the code to pinpoint an offending section?
Quote:Original post by _DarkWIng_
Did you install new drivers? If your program returing any gl errors/warnings?

I have nv detonators (not older than the ones I use on linux), no OpenGL errors/warnings at all.

I'm using vertex arrays.

Quote:CoffeeMug

Do you expect people to take this post seriously?

At least not from you. I call it windoze in an affectionately manner.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
And you did think that your program will run better/equal on windows? It's logical, that on win programs will run slower. Didn't you know it, that linux is faster? :)
maybe the GNU compiler for Windows is not optimized?
No compile errors doesn't mean that there aren't problems.

Unfortunately, this sort of problem can be fantastically difficult to track down.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
from my experience performance runs about the same on both platforms.

most likely what youre seeing is that, even though youre asking for the same graphics stuff on both platforms, the actual results are different.
eg platformA might give you RGB555 textures when u ask for RGB8 and plaformB might give u RGB8 when u ask for RGB8
etc
Why, oh God, WHY would any EVER willfully install WinME? It is a biggest piece of crap EVER. I would run Win98 unpatched and broadcast my IP in every hacker forum before I would install WinME...and I would still have a better experience.

Try a real OS...like XP or 2K. If you don't have either available, well, that sucks.

</rant>

What type of mobo do you have? Did you install their drivers? It could be something silly, like WinME not being able to resolve DMA for your AGP bus or something screwey...just a shot in the dark. I'd try another game/application that you know should have good performance and see what results you get. It seems really weird that the framerate drops when you turn on vsync...that sounds a lot like hardware/driver issues of some sort.
I am enjoying this! *sits back with a big cup of ice cold water*
-- I waz here --

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement