[java] Image loading outside of applets

Started by
3 comments, last by deakin 23 years, 6 months ago
Normally when I load an image inside an applet, I just do something like this: image = getImage(getCodeBase(), "file.gif") However, I wanted some classes (not applets) to be able to load images as well, so I have been doing this: image = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getImage("file.gif"); This works fine within the Sun appletviewer, but Internet Explorer gets some sort of security error which I would assume has something to with loading files. Does anyone know how to get past this? Thanks, - Daniel VG Games
- DanielMy homepage
Advertisement
Hello;

Here is an idea, just declare an instance of the Applet class in the class that's trying to load the image. So it would look like this :

Applet a = new Applet();//....img = a.getImage(a.getCodeBase(),"file.gif");    

In the above code you could also make "a" equal to an instance (var) of your class that extends the applet class (in the constructor of the class that you want to load the image perhaps)

So I hoped this helped (a little ).
JP.

=============================
a wise man once said....
=============================
www.thejpsystem.com

Edited by - loserkid on October 15, 2000 7:15:47 PM
==============================================I feel like a kid in some kind of store... ============================================== www.thejpsystem.com
No such luck. I tried what you suggested and the code compiles fine but IE gives the same error. Thanks anyway.

- Daniel
VG Games
- DanielMy homepage
If your applet is in a jar file you can use the technique outlined in this javaworld article.

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-07-1998/jw-07-jar_p.html
Inside a java app, to load an image, instead of calling the toolkit from the applet...

Window frame = new JFrame();

Image image = frame.getTookit.getImage("image.gif");

and presto.. image loads.

Mark

----
www.emanatemultimedia.com
----
<< ...and here is one we developed earlier... >>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement