Which API should I begin to do 3d with ?

Started by
13 comments, last by Bleakcabal 23 years, 5 months ago
Im a decent programmer, and know how to program in direct draw but now I would like to do some 3d. My questions is ( well you know it, youve seen the title ) which API should I learn 3d with OpenGL or Direct3D. Please do not let this turn out in a openGL vs Direct3D war.
WHO DO THEYTHINK THEY'REFOOLING : YOU ?
Advertisement
It''s all a matter of opinion. Since you''ve been using ddraw, if you''ve had relative success using that api then stick with directx using d3d. But, IMO, OpenGL is much easier to initialize and to start programming 3D with immediately. If you choose OpenGL a good place to start is nehe.gamedev.net. He has some great tutorials that will get you programming 3D in minutes! But, like I said...choose whatever you are most comfortable with.
I think it''s best to stick to what you know. Direct 3D would seem to be the better option in this case. In my opinion use OpenGL only if you really have to.
There is no try, do or do not.
Actually I have looked atthe NeHe tutorials you mention and I am very tempted to learn openGL this way. Ill try out with these at first.

WHO DO THEY
THINK THEY'RE
FOOLING : YOU ?
WHO DO THEYTHINK THEY'REFOOLING : YOU ?
Screw them both. A lot of DirectX8 testers that I know have told me that DirectGraphics is one line initialization. Now there''s not much to complain about after that

---------------------------
www.bountyhunterinc.com t-shirts for the morally impaired.
Nes,

It may be one line, but how long is the line . J/k, actually I''m really looking forward to dx8. We''ll see how it stacks up.
lol. That''s a good question. I hope it''s short and sweet

---------------------------
www.bountyhunterinc.com t-shirts for the morally impaired.
stuff your one line initialisation thats for pansies in gl u can go glMake3DFPS(GL_ALA_QUAKE3)
bleakcable did u have a look in the forum faq (topleft of page)

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
DX8 is very nice indeed. The way that they changed things around will allow simpler upgrades to future versions of directx interfaces. I still think that OpenGL might be a little easier for an intro into 3d programming, and knowing a little of both wouldn''t be a bad idea.
Learn 3D with books, not with API if you want to become a decent 3D coder.
Then learn both APIs and pick up the one you prefer, or want to support :p

I really think you must learn 3D beginning by maths and theory before using any specific API.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement