Old computer opengl is not accelerated at all!

Started by
41 comments, last by aewarnick 19 years ago
BitBlt is more than twice as fast as drawing textures on my old packard Bell computer with 32 mb ram, 333mgh processor and the generic graphics card that came with the computer. What do I have to get acceleration? Build with old opengl code? How do I do that? How was it done in old dos driven games?
*C++*->
Advertisement
As far as I know OpenGL was not supported under DOS. Either you need to install
drivers that support OpenGL or if that's not possible, buy hardware that has support. An old computer may not have a graphics card that supports 3D acceleration, OpenGL is a 3D graphics API if you don't have 3D acceleration hardware, OpenGL will not be accelerated - the best you will get is a software fallback.
-- Jonathan
It's not dos, it's windows 95 or 98. I just mentioned dos games because I used to play them on win95.

I checked the version of opengl on that computer and it is 1.1. Do you think I am using 1.2 calls and that is why it isn't accelerated?
*C++*->
I think Voodoo Glide did work under DOS. If you can find an old VooDoo card. I am not sure if their OpenGL ICD would work under dos though. But you could at least use Glide.

[EDIT]
Didn't see you are using Windows. Go find an old GeForce MX 2 for like $5 and you will have OpenGL accel.

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm doing. I'm trying to make programs for multiple systems that will run on older computers as well as new. This is not for me but for the end user. I have a brand new nice computer; I'm up-to-date but other people are not.
*C++*->
If the end users computer doesn't have an opengl video card, thats the best you can do, software emulation.
guys does ATI Radeon 9600 support Opengl 2.0 ?
Is there some wrapper dll that emulates OpenGL on top of DX9 ?
I'm asking because on my old PC an OpenGL test program which simply drawas textured triangles runs at 2 fps while a DX9 program that does exactly the same runs at 25 fps.
The thing is I don't want to write DX9 code for my own game but use OGL instead, and if a player has this same problem I could point him to the wrapper.

Thanks!
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
guys does ATI Radeon 9600 support Opengl 2.0 ?

Yes, 87% of it (non-power-of-two-texture extension is missing, the rest is there and works).
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Is there some wrapper dll that emulates OpenGL on top of DX9 ?
I'm asking because on my old PC an OpenGL test program which simply drawas textured triangles runs at 2 fps while a DX9 program that does exactly the same runs at 25 fps.
The thing is I don't want to write DX9 code for my own game but use OGL instead, and if a player has this same problem I could point him to the wrapper.

Thanks!

You will need to write an API-agnostic wrapper (like OGRE does) that you write different backends for. Mapping functions directly will not be possible in some cases since design philosophies and some concepts slightly differ betwen APIs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement