Racing MMO

Started by
13 comments, last by Vanquish 18 years, 7 months ago
Just a thought. Would a game such as Need For Speed Underground work as an MMO. I think it may, but I'm not sure if the technology and bandwidth are up to it yet. Some races would be instanced so only the participants could be there, but there would always be the ability for pickup races on the regular map. Obviously car customization would be a must....as would having an extreamly large map. I think there would need to be Both city and off road racing areas...Not to mention different types of vehicles. Advancement includes bigger and better cars, and access to more of the map. Races have "level limits" so that the guy in the ferrari keeps beating the people in the love bug... Just some thoughts...not really a coherant idea. What do you think?
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
Advertisement
I had an idea like that once, only using a F-Zero like setting where players could earn achivements and such. It wasn't really an MMO though, more like an Online racing RPG.
---------------------------------The Shadow Sun - Want Your Writing Exposed?
I think these have some scope.
I also had an idea for a sports MMO, and that was a Golf course.
Quite a good idea in my opinion.

I would almost deffinately play a racing MMO, it would be great.
[email=wastedhours@gmail.com]-steve[/email]_______________________Freelance Game Journalist / Designer / Occasional Game Developer[GamingHours.com] [RandomlyAccessed]
Just a couple random ideas I was interested in towards this idea.

The first one was primarily a single player game but the storyline went something like this:

In 2025 the Chineese government was taken over by a far more agressive group. They began rapidly building their military forces. During treaty negotiations with the United States, they attacked the US.

Knowing they did not have the technological superority to defeat the US, Chineese forces began with a EMP attack. The new EMP weapons were strong enough to disable all electronics in the US. The Chineese then began the land assault and completly occupied the west coast of the US.

A side effect of the loss of all electronics is all prisons were quickly overcome by their prisoners. Between the roving bands of roving gangs and the Chineese forces, all countryside became too dangerous to enter. The cities became fortresses protected by armed citizens. All travel between the cities was either military convoys or the few brave blockade runners.

The whole idea behind the game would be the player is a blockade runner who transports people and goods between the cities. The player would start as a gunman for NPC cars and work his way up to purchasing his own vehicle (or just continue as a gunman). Just seems like it could be an interesting MMORPG possibility.

Another idea I had was after watching an enduro race the other day. For those who have never seen one, they put 100-200 cars on a half mile or smaller oval track and run 200 laps. There are NO yellow flags, only red flags to allow drivers of disabled cars in dangerous locations to get out. All cars are left where they stop if they cannot drive away.

To start with the game could be very simple, no damage, just the racing phyisics. If the game worked, damage could be added as well as purchasing additional customization of vehicles. I'd love to see a MMO game like this.

Oh, and if anyone makes either of these I get a lifetime subscription :p
- My $0.02
Quote:Original post by robert4818
Just a thought. Would a game such as Need For Speed Underground work as an MMO.

What do you think?

Motor City Online (originally titled Need for Speed: Motor City) failed. It could be because of the difficulty level and other details, but it did. This doesn't mean that an MMO racing game is impractical; it just means that you have to ensure that the game scales, that economy is meaningful, that valuable data persists, that you handle latency in an intelligent way... Basically, fix everything MCO borked.
Quote:Original post by Drethon
Just a couple random ideas I was interested in towards this idea.

The first one was primarily a single player game but the storyline went something like this:

Auto Assault.

Quote:Another idea I had was after watching an enduro race the other day. For those who have never seen one, they put 100-200 cars on a half mile or smaller oval track and run 200 laps. There are NO yellow flags, only red flags to allow drivers of disabled cars in dangerous locations to get out. All cars are left where they stop if they cannot drive away.

Enduro races in Project Gotham Racing 2 tend to be about 7 or 9 laps. Anything more than that begins to numb the brain. Who do you think is going to play a 200-lap racing game?!

Besides, what makes it MMO? What persists between sessions?
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Anything more than that begins to numb the brain. Who do you think is going to play a 200-lap racing game?!

... People into racing probably. Me and friends used to do the endurance races in GT2 all the time. Some of those races take a long time to finish.

Just a thought - there's a market for pretty much anything.
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Who do you think is going to play a 200-lap racing game?!

The same people who play Le Mans 24 Hours?

I pity the testers who had to work on that game! [grin]

But I also agree I'm not sure about a good way to make this MMO. A MMO with driving would work (say MMOGTA, for example), but just racing around seems more multiplayer than massively multiplayer to me.
What advantage would being an MMO provide over instead providing a multiplayer matchmaking service and scoring system?

I think the idea could potentially work, but I don't see any reason why it should when you could probably get all the benefits through matchmaking while avoiding some of the problems.

Benefits of a matchmaking service:
- People will be able to quickly locate a race (or other driving event?) of whatever type interests them.
- Players can be competatively ranked.
- Players get to show off thier customised cars to each other.
- Players can easily set up a race against friends.

Problems making it an MMO introduce:
- In non-instanced races, other cars could interfere.
- You could effectively end up with traffic jams.
- Players will have to drive to certain locations (takes time) to find a race that suits them.
- Players will have to drive around to locate friends within the map.

I'm not saying the idea is bad, and it could probably be kinda neat in some ways, but does it really need to be an MMO?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Wouldn't this cause major Virtual Traffic Jams.
Unless even the sidestreets are about 5 lanes wide....and you make up a fake city.
And the city is about 1,000 square miles.

It is a very inpiring idea, and it would take just as much bandwidth as a MMORPG.
Think of it like this....

Final Fantasy is MMORPG
MMO Racign is a MMO Racing Game

Final Fantasy has characters
MMO Racing has Cars

Final Fantasy has Items, Outfits, Abilities, Pets, Etc.
MMO racing has Car mods, Details, Nitro, etc.

Final Fantasy has HP, MP, Atributes
MMO Racing has Speed, 0-60 in X, Attributes.

you see, so its not the bandwidth thats the problem (Being as how the files are already on your PC, its just the information you need to download)

But the problem is size....unless you have a sort of Room/Lounge system where you can meet up in a giant chat room and set up your own race with your own specs and rules that one must abide to...that project would not work out to well

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement