We're Live (in beta form)!!

Started by
13 comments, last by joanusdmentia 17 years, 5 months ago
I'm just happy. Carry on. update: I'll just put the goings-on here, higher-ups can alter if they feel it's appropriate. update2: Just so everyone knows the start date is now (November 14, 2006)! update3: Any word on that Intro to Functional Programming? Or are we waiting for Chapter 1 to finish? Intro 1 to Functional Programming Intro 2 to Functional Programming Intro 3 to Functional Programming Scheme Attempt 1 Scheme Attempt 0 [Edited by - Alpha_ProgDes on November 17, 2006 6:29:34 AM]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Yipee!

Do we have a starting date of some kind?
What about the environment to use, are we going to use DrScheme??

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
If we're not locked into SICP then we could also use this text How to Design Programs. Its a companion text to DrScheme and includes a section on how to use the environment.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
I don't think the compiler is going to make a difference unless there's gonna be a setup issue or it has #include "stdafx.h" in it [grin] Other than that, I say use whatever compiler you want as long you can do the examples and problems the book and mentors give you.

That being said, I'll let the mentors give final decision on what compiler to use if that's necessary.

As far as starting dates are concerned, we're starting now! Most of the experienced Scheme programmers say that a chapter a month is a good pace. So, right now, start reading Chapter 1. I'll start a thread saying "Chapter 1" in a minute or two.

okononayami will give more details. Muhammad feel free to correct or alter if I'm jumping too far or just wrong all together [smile]. I figure the mentors (AP you might want to seriously consider registering even if it's just for this (and temporary). Easier to participate) will post a finalized intro on functional programming to give us a heads-up on how to approach the programming. I'll drop some links on my tries soon.

[Edited by - Alpha_ProgDes on November 14, 2006 9:27:01 PM]

Quote:Original post by chollida1
If we're not locked into SICP then we could also use this text How to Design Programs. Its a companion text to DrScheme and includes a section on how to use the environment.

Cheers
Chris

AFAIK, SICP will be our main text, but most likely one of the mentors will be using material from other books from time to time.

edit: actually put in the words i wanted to use.

[Edited by - Alpha_ProgDes on November 14, 2006 9:29:26 PM]

Yay! Maybe we should sticky this thread too. The registration one will be reference for a list of members and other stuff, but here we can talk about where to take things.

I agree, the compiler shouldn't make a difference, especially since SICP doesn't even cover some of the more advanced Scheme things like continuations, which slightly differ with each implementation.

Still, out of curiosity, which implementation of Scheme will you be using? I'll be using Gambit myself.

Also, @Alpha_ProgDes, we really have until December 31 for the first chapter? Isn't that.. a long time? How long are we going to budget for chapters 2 and 3? Did you mean November 31?

I hope those of you who are mentors will actively tell us what to read/focus on in the chapters and give us problems, as well as answering questions. I know we can only ask so much, so we'll see!
Quote:Original post by okonomiyaki
Yay! Maybe we should sticky this thread too. The registration one will be reference for a list of members and other stuff, but here we can talk about where to take things.

I agree, the compiler shouldn't make a difference, especially since SICP doesn't even cover some of the more advanced Scheme things like continuations, which slightly differ with each implementation.

Still, out of curiosity, which implementation of Scheme will you be using? I'll be using Gambit myself.

I'm using (and recommend others to use;) DrScheme / MzScheme. Works out of the box (and the same way) on a great number of platforms. The built in interactive REPL environment also makes it very good for quickly testing things while learning.

Quote:
Also, @Alpha_ProgDes, we really have until December 31 for the first chapter? Isn't that.. a long time? How long are we going to budget for chapters 2 and 3? Did you mean November 31?

I think December 31 seems like a good date for Chapter 1. Each chapter in SICP is rather extensive, and especially the first one it can be good not to go too fast forward. As a comparison, when studying the material at university we spent equivalent to 4 full-time weeks for chapter 1,2 and half of 3.

-Marten
I think that December 31st is a bit long, especially since many (most?) registrants put something along the lines of "Skimmed chapter one" as their experience with Scheme. However, it is nice to be able to take your time without worry of falling behind - unlike in real life.
To the O.P.: Sorry for sounding like a total n00b, but to the uninitiated (e.g. me) and not having followed what appears to be the existence of a previous and likely popular (series of) thread(s), this thread makes little sense. You might consider writing a bit of an intro so that us dinosaurs can catch up and know what you're talking about :)

Particularly since this seems to be a "taking off" thread, it might generate more hits and revisits in the future.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement