Noob questions: Developing for Wii?

Started by
14 comments, last by S1CA 17 years, 4 months ago
I ran a search through the forums, and found a couple of very old threads that asked the questions I'm about to. They were generally unanswered or only answered with speculation. I have some experience with coding, but I am primarily an artist, so feel free to talk to me like a 3-year-old. 1) What software kits and/or licenses are required to develop code for the Wii? How much do they cost? How are they obtained? Who can obtain them? 2) What is the process for exporting code/assets to the Wii once they're done? How is debugging handled? What hardware/software is involved with the debugging and export steps, how much does it cost, and how is it obtained? 3) (I might have to take this one over to the BoGD forums) What are the legalities of developing and publishing games for the Wii? Can an indie do it (from a legal/financial standpoint), or is it something reserved only for the big developers? What stops me from trying to sell my games online? Anyway, I am honestly clueless on these questions, so I eagerly await some informed responses. I think we all remember the tease Nintendo gave us about the Wii being friendly for "independent developers with ideas bigger than their budgets," and I'd love to know if there was any truth to that. Seems like it could be a huge step in the promotion of indie gaming. Thanks in advance for the help.
Advertisement
Quote:1) What software kits and/or licenses are required to develop code for the Wii? How much do they cost? How are they obtained? Who can obtain them?
You need an NDEV emulator, the assorted other console hardware and controllers, and the assorted software, source, libraries, and other licensed items that come with the contract agreement from Nintendo. I assume the cost varies based on the contract. They are obtained by getting a contract to develop a title with Nintendo. These contracts will only come to established companies and new companies with a very long track record -- they currently won't even discuss the possibility if you aren't one of the two.
Quote:2) What is the process for exporting code/assets to the Wii once they're done? How is debugging handled? What hardware/software is involved with the debugging and export steps, how much does it cost, and how is it obtained?
It is simply a program, the files are normally served to the NDEV emulator. You compile your executables. You turn your art assets into a format that can be streamed in very quickly. There are many debuggers, such as CodeWarrior plugins for Visual Studio if you are so inclined. The hardware involved is the NDEV emulator, your computer, and a network connection, and it is as free as the electricity to run the boxes. Again, the necessary tools are obtained through contract with Nintendo and regular software purchase from vendors.
Quote:3) (I might have to take this one over to the BoGD forums) What are the legalities of developing and publishing games for the Wii? Can an indie do it (from a legal/financial standpoint), or is it something reserved only for the big developers? What stops me from trying to sell my games online?
That is all negotiated in the contract. If you read back through the history, you can read about the one line Nintendo had on their web site that "independent developers with ideas bigger than their budgets," but the line was later removed. I have not heard anything other than wild speculation online about the Connect24 system allowing indie content.

Finally, as for what stops you from trying to sell your games online, that is a harder question. Certainly it seems feasible to develop software that could be downloaded through Wii's Connect24, and execute locally. However, since to the best of my knowledge all of the libraries, source, and other tidbits are covered under copyright, trademark, trade secret, NDA, and other legal restrictions, I don't believe there is currently a way to legally make and distribute such games without either having Nintendo's blessing in advance, or facing extensive lawsuits after the fact.
What frob said (though personally I'd call it a devkit rather than an emulator)...

...and the official site: http://www.warioworld.com/apply/wii.html (see the "If you are NOT working with an authorized Wii licensee" section for basically the official re-iteration of frob's post).

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Unless your name is "Activision" or "EA", etc Nintendo has no intention of letting you develop for the Wii.

No big loss, IMO. Wii is lame.
I personally can't believe Nintendo would refuse a good game if they see one. Warioware for example is actually a compilation of all the ideas from members of their own dev teams. Meaby I'm completely misguided by clever marketing, but I always felt that there's room for things like this inside Nintendo.

Aside from the fact if Nintendo would accept the game or not, I would love to get familliar with the controller and playing around with diffrent controll methods and seeing what works etc, if I had the money I'd do it just for fun.

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Unless your name is "Activision" or "EA", etc Nintendo has no intention of letting you develop for the Wii.

No big loss, IMO. Wii is lame.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Wii, but I find this curious.

Quote:Namco Bandai Holdings Inc. president Takeo Takasu has said in an interview that PS3 games must be a mass-market success. Games for the next-generation console cost an average of $8.6 million to create, according to Takasu, and need to sell 500,000 units before the developer can turn a profit.

I suspect that it's a similar situation for the Xbox 360. Unless you're developing a "triple A" title, publishers might be in for the "big loss". Despite Nintendo's curious decision for an input device, its lower development costs may prove to be a great decision.

Though I will concede that if you don't have an established relationship with Nintendo or a budget of at least a million dollars they probably won't consider your game.
$8.6 million to create a game? I need to ask for a raise.
APE
Quote:Original post by Kirl
I personally can't believe Nintendo would refuse a good game if they see one. Warioware for example is actually a compilation of all the ideas from members of their own dev teams. Meaby I'm completely misguided by clever marketing, but I always felt that there's room for things like this inside Nintendo.

I highlighted the 2 important parts of your post. I assume you are not inside Nintendo, and are not on their existing dev teams, and therefore you can't expect any such favours. Everyone else has to go through the regular channels.
My university has told us that, you can use the GameCube devkits to develop for the Wii, since the Wii is a more powerfull version with different controllers.

They havnt told us if they are getting the Wii Kits yet, so at the moment we are stuck with the GC kits, which isnt that bad if you think about it.
----------------------www.westernwars.comwww.ebgaming.com
Yes you can use gamecubes to develop promotional wii titles. The when you get signed nintendo will give you kits through your publisher.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement