Help loading a tiled level into a game

Started by
3 comments, last by Brad 24 years, 4 months ago
If you made the editor yourself then your question is already answered, just do the same. However, if you are using a third party editor then you would have to go to thier website and either find the file format that they are using or some example code.

Everyones has their own ideas of how to store and load a map file, so each persons code will be different.

William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Advertisement
Well I'm using the mappy editor

I don't know near enough to create my own editor yet

Hmmm, you should probably look at the saving routine and do the opposite of it to load. For my levels I use .dat files. I use a for loop to save and load the different values into a Map[] array. However, some map editors create the actual array for you and all you have to do is include yourname.map into the project. . .
Ok I know how to load a tiled level into a game by loading the bitmap file containing the tiles and than filling an array with the # (referring to frame of animation) of the tile I want to use.

My question is this:

After I have used a level editor to put together an actual level made up of tiles, how do I load it into a game?

If someone could just give me a FAIRLY DETAILED rundown of all the steps that part of my program would need to perform it would help a lot. I think I know of a way to do it that would involve scanning the level and storing the tiles as pointers in an array - but I think that my way would end up using A LOT of RAM -

Anyways that's the question.
Thanks

Hmm i belive mappy has map loading functions i think its something like this.
Load_tile_map(what color depth and some other stuff)
then in your main loop you call animate_map or something. Havnt used mappy in along time(i used it once with allegro i now use directx and code my own editors.)

As far as standered procedure goes its like this most of the time.

mapdata (a struct with the info your array holds like what tile graphic goes where flags ect)map[w][h];

Then in your editor when you place a tile you just set something like map[placedtile][placedtile].type == whatever tile graphic ,ect;

Then to save the map you can do one fwrite,and to load it you just do a fread;
Hope this helps. Nothing else if you want some source to a editor/engine in allegro i have one i could send you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement