2D fog

Started by
8 comments, last by ColdFusionEntertainment 24 years, 5 months ago
-2D fog?
-Do you mean clouds seen from above or a solid rectangular pism (showbox) lying on the ground?

[This message has been edited by SonicSilcion (edited October 19, 1999).]

Advertisement
i mean fog like that uses alpha blitting/blending whatever to give the affect of fog near the ground using alpha blending when i do it slows my program to a crawl (without acceleration) is there any cheap tricks to get some half way decent fog without such a performance hit

later,
cfe

without hardware acceleration
A 50/50 blend is fairly cheap, and could do the trick (I think there's an article on this site that talks about this)... If not, let me know, I can probably point you to another place.

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
point me somewhere i dont know where "where" is

:-)

later,
scott

The MMX alpha blend article has a 50/50 blend function... its in reference...
osu!
it needs to be pure software no hardware
you could always bust old school styles (think diablo) with a dithering type system that makes more solid color (ie more dots) the greater the alpha value... this will look not bad, and will run on anything, and depending on the optimization, not much longer than a regular blit.

psionic81@excite.com

i really am lost on this one...how can i implement 2D fog for my side scroller game that is fast, but yet does not use hardware acceleration...any cheap tricks? or what so?

thnx
Scott

Hey psionic

dithering might work i was thinking of that my self ill check into it

King...how do you output a paritally opac bitmap...??? is that using alpha blending? if so thats kinda slow anyway im not really sure what your getting at please inform me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement