C# Workshop - Project #1 Preview

Started by
12 comments, last by foolios 16 years, 8 months ago
Heya All, As many of you know, due to the textbook change I had to change project 1 so that it better met the syllabus for what we will have covered both during the first 2 weeks, and the 2 weeks during project 1. As a result, I've had to shift project designs around a bit. This necessarily required that I implement the project myself, to make sure it was appropriate difficulty, etc....And now I must write the project description and guidelines, so you know what and how you're supposed to implement project 1. BUT....I wanted to give you some screen shots of my completed project 1, just to give you something to think about. These images are of randomly generated Perfect Mazes, printed to the console window using _ and |. For those not familiar with maze terminology, a perfect maze is one in which there are EXACTLY 1 path from any 2 points in the maze...and furthermore, you're guaranteed that there is a path to all "rooms" in the maze. The project description for this will be out in the next 2 days. A 14x15 Room Perfect Maze A 25x25 Room Perfect Maze A 30x20 Room Perfect Maze A 30x35 Room Perfect Maze Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Advertisement
Wow, that surely looks exciting - and difficult! You have done a really good job on the workshop so far - I look forward to beginning the project!
<offtopic>
You're a moderator! It's about fucking time!! Congratulations!!! [smile]
</offtopic>

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
<offtopic>
You're a moderator! It's about fucking time!! Congratulations!!! [smile]
</offtopic>

huh, So I am. Thanks! [lol]
Jeromy Walsh
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Are you going to give them a hint on the "perfect maze" algorithm or do they have to figure it out on their own?

theTroll
I will be providing the algorithm.
Jeromy Walsh
You had me scared there, I wasn't sure they would all be ready to make their own cell wall deletion algorithm.

theTroll
Quote:Original post by JWalsh
I will be providing the algorithm.

Awww... Just when I thought it was going to be interesting!

Just kidding. It would be way too hard otherwise.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Something didn't seem quite right about what was being rendered. Whenever there was a vertical wall I would output a '|' and whenever there wasn't I'd leave it blank. In hindsight, this was an obvious oversight, but just because there's no wall, doesn't mean there's no floor!!

I modified the display algorithm and got something which looks MUCH smoother. Compare this to the 30x35 above.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Nice! It looks like a very interesting first project.

<offtopic>There's an interesting puzzle game about Perfect Mazes. Check out Knarly Mazes. Pretty amusing.</offtopic>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement