HowTo Develop for PS3

Started by
16 comments, last by Dancin_Fool 16 years, 4 months ago
Hey mates, Just a simple question, and if it is incredibly stupid i apologise before hand... so, how does one create games for the ps3? i mean, i got one, so what if i wanted to create a simple tetris game by myself? i dont care about any licensing and i wouldnt ever sell it or anything, just wondering... i mean, i know the languages used (C) and the shaders and OpenGL, etc... but what SDK, or where are the APIs or the docs or anything? and on the second hand, what is it like if it were to be professionally?
Advertisement
You can't, unless you're willing to settle for the crippled linux environment that offers no access to the GPU or any of the SPUs.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
so... how DO games get made?
Developers get developer kits, which are special hardware, software, libraries, documentation, and libraries that allow development. When they're done, they create a gold build that is then cryptographically signed by keys provided by the console maker (Sony, MS, Nintendo) and then mastered onto pressed discs. Those discs will play in regular retail consoles. Games that are in development cannot run on regular retail consoles.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
mmm... i seee... but how about the XNA then for the Xbox360, i know this is a bit off topic but... if the XNA is available, free and downloadable online into VS, then i should be able to make my own games on the Xbox360, right?
Quote:Original post by Promit
You can't, unless you're willing to settle for the crippled linux environment that offers no access to the GPU or any of the SPUs.

IIRC PS3 linux does let you access some (not all) SPUs and run your own code on them. No GPU access does rather cripple the whole thing though. [sad]

alihelmy: To run your own XNA stuff on your 360 you need to fork out for a "Creators Club" license, which IIRC clocks in at $99 a year. Anyone who wants to play your game has to fork out too.
so, the verdict is, Xbox360, is doable but costs 99$ a year, and PS3 is not doable (because i read somewhere on gamesutra.com that the dev kit is 10250USD!) unless u wanna do it on linux...

if i understand correctly, this means ill install Linux on the ps3 and then dev games for linux on the ps3, and not ps3 directly?

and what do u mean by limiting access to the G(graphical?)PU? does that mean i cant write opengl code or... wat?
Quote:Original post by alihelmy
if i understand correctly, this means ill install Linux on the ps3 and then dev games for linux on the ps3, and not ps3 directly?

Yes. IMHO you might as well just stick to pc development.

Quote:and what do u mean by limiting access to the G(graphical?)PU? does that mean i cant write opengl code or... wat?

You don't get any access to the GPU, which means that all drawing has to be done manually, and no hardware accelerated OpenGL.
Why have these limitations/arrangements been created?

Why not just let developers develop as they please to?
Quote:Original post by alihelmy
so, the verdict is, Xbox360, is doable but costs 99$ a year, and PS3 is not doable (because i read somewhere on gamesutra.com that the dev kit is 10250USD!) unless u wanna do it on linux...

Minor comment here, that quote for the dev kit is irrelevant in any case. You are not a registered developer with Sony so they will not sell you a dev-kit for any price. Until you are a registered developer, all you have with PS3 is Linux which, as others have said, is crippled.

XNA is great. It's fun to run games on the Xbox 360. $99 sounds expensive, but when you think about it spread over a year, it's not so bad. That's less than the cost of two next-gen (PS3 or Xbox 360) games. True that currently anyone who wants to play your game will also have to buy the Creator's Club subscription, but the guys at Microsoft have said they are working hard to create a better way (with hopefully much lower cost) for end-user distribution.

The best part of XNA is that you can download it for free for Windows and start playing with it today. If you don't like it, you don't even have to spend money. Check out http://creators.xna.com for all the download information, samples, and other helpful stuff.

Quote:Original post by sanman
Why have these limitations/arrangements been created?

Why not just let developers develop as they please to?

If you could do full PS3 development in Linux on a retail PS3, how would Sony be able to sell dev-kits to developers? Also how would you stop people from just making/selling/distributing games for download for Linux on PS3 where Sony would make no money on royalties?

As for XNA, Microsoft has to fund the XNA department somehow. It's well known that the Xbox division of Microsoft has not profited much considering its cost. So they have to charge developers to use XNA on Xbox 360 to help fund the development of XNA.

It all comes down to money in the end.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement