Phun - a 2D physics playground

Started by
143 comments, last by Iderik 16 years, 1 month ago
Phun is an application for creating 2D simulations of physics. It has a cartoony feel to it and is simple and fun to use! Check out this video to see what it's all about:
">
I have been developing Phun for the past six months as my Master of Science thesis, and now it's time to reveal it to the public. Phun is completely cross-platform, it's written in C++ and uses OpenGL for rendering. It also uses SDL (for window management and input), SDL_image (for reading images), GLEW (for OpenGL extension management), boost and boost_filesystem. I use no external physics engine or GUI library. Download Phun here: www.acc.umu.se/~emilk/ (Windows and Linux, soon MacOS) The program is still in Beta, so expect it to crash at least once for you. But don't worry, it has autosave. If you don't trust the autosave, just use ctrl-s a lot. Please let me know what you think of it! - Emil Ernerfeldt Update: I just released beta 3. Hopefully this will run on more computers. [Edited by - emilk on February 19, 2008 6:11:33 PM]
Advertisement
The name is perfect! Very cool.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
That's great - amazing physics, and a very cool interface.

Congrats! :)
Looks phun! Bookmarked for the upcoming OS X version. Looking forward to trying it out.
Quote:Original post by emilk
I use no external physics engine or GUI library.

After watching the video, I'm amazed that you did all of that yourself! That's quite impressive. Have you thought about releasing your own physics library or GUI library?

The game crashes for me at startup. The logfile says:

15:11:50: Application created15:11:50: Parsing autoexec.cfg...15:11:50: Creating window...15:11:50: Destroying GL resources15:11:51: Loading all resources...15:11:51: Destroying GL resources15:11:51: Creating GL resources15:11:51: Reloading class rendering::Texture15:11:51: Reloading class rendering::Shader

And the last line in the console window says "Creating window..."
Man, I'm really looking forward to this. I've just been exploring this field.

You do know that the vc_redist files are taking up 5 megs out of your 7 meg download?
I am very impressed. Not only does it work smoothly and as advertised, but it's actually fun :-) I can see this being used in a sort of suped-up Incredible Machine type game.
This is simply amazing. This is the best 2d physics demo I've ever seen.

You've put tons of work into this and it really shows. I'll have quite a bit of fun playing with this, and I look forward to (hopefully) new versions in the future.
That is awesome. I wish my masters thesis was that "phun"!
Thanks for all the great replies, glad you like it!

Quote:Original post by fd9_
After watching the video, I'm amazed that you did all of that yourself! That's quite impressive. Have you thought about releasing your own physics library or GUI library?

Thank you! Exactly how Phun and it's parts will finally be released is not yet decided. For now I'm just gonna continue to add cool features.

Quote:
The game crashes for me at startup. The logfile says:

15:11:51: Reloading class rendering::Shader

I should have warned you that the program may crash at times (and now I do). Sometimes at startup - sometimes just out of spite.

In your case, problem loading a shader could simply mean you need new graphics drivers (or worse, hardware). But it could also be some strange coding from my part, I'll look it over until the next beta.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement