All for One and One for all. Make Game Together!

Started by
88 comments, last by Acer722 22 years, 9 months ago
Wouldn''t it be cool if everyone on this site chipped in an idea or some code to make really cool 3D OpenGL Games. I know we can just post our thought and code in the message forum, but after a few days you post is "gone". We need Nehe to have a special Game Projects forum to make our own games, and once were done with a game we can maybe even post it on the downloads section. I just thought I would be really cool to make games together. I would like to know your feedback on this idea, and any other ways to make it work.
Any game programmer can make games. Real programmers can finish them.
Advertisement
Alot of these types of messages have popped up recently, and i doubt forming a group through a forum is ever going to be able to get moving. The main thing is, there''s probably many reasons why it''s never going to work -
1. People are more interested in talking about it happening, rather than getting it organized,
2. People turn away after the subject of money has been discussed in detail,
3. Many newbies out there only join to find out new techniques & ways of creating a game engine (cut & pasters), some programmers dont only want to contribute to the game because they''re work may get stolen and used in other people''s games, and finally
4. Its difficult to put all your ideas together and assign jobs to people without knowing how it''s all going to work.

On the subject of point 4. Its all well & easy to say, okay, person#1, you can do the blending. What he''s probably thinking is ''blending for what?'', and petty jobs like that one usually dont require too much coding experience, and is kinda dull. When person#2 is given the job of creating a collision detection function, it would be impossible to do if he didnt know how the terrain engine worked.

My point being - if you want to create a group to make a game through the forums, it''s best to get it all organised, and then bring it to the attention of other coders about how its all going to work. Commonly enough, when it hasnt been organised and posters such as yourself type up a message like this one, people feel as though they''re wasting their time thinking about it, and like many of their gaming projects, drop it after a week of no progress.

Just a thought.
I agree with wAVaRiaN, organizing is really important when making any projects. So I personally would think ppl should making posts about creating teams/groups rather than a project which is for everybody to make. I know organizing is the key for a sucessfull group, I am in one =)

Kenneth Wilhelmsen

--------------------------
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has
been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This
disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless
brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder
wAVaRiaN I couldn''t agree more. I lead tech teams for a living (not working on games unfortunately) and it''s difficult enough to get 30-40 minds focused in one direction EVEN IF they''re all in the same room. The prospect of distributed development is a very frightening one, more so when a budget and a deadline are brought into the equation.

That said, there''s nothing to say you (Acer722) can''t be the first person to do it. SOMEONE had to dream up anti-matter, SOMEONE had to land on the moon and eventually someone''ll conquer the logistics of open-source distributed development.

I suggest laying the ground-work, build a scaleable object model, setup CVS, you as the architect should set the technical direction, the framework as it were, then after a week or 3 find out who''s REALLY willing to put in the less glamorous hours of actually coding, integrating and checkpointing the thing and testing it of course. You might just end up with something,

L8r,
fs

http://www.CornflakeZone.com
//-- Modelling and animation in every dimension --//
Since fshana mentioned Open Source, I might as well contribute the "Fundamental Tenets of Open Source Development", rule #1 of which is:

Show me the code!

Seriously. You can''t start an OSS (Open Source Software) project on ideas. You have to provide an intial implementation, something that potential developers can compile and execute and see the benefits of. They can then join and suggest improvements or radical changes, but it remains the responsibility and right of the project leader - the guy who started it all, ergo, Acer722 - to decide what goes in and what stays out.

It''s also all about personality. OSS development is based on ego stroking (don''t tell them I said so). Everyone needs recognition, to be made to feel that their contibution is integral to the progress of the project, and without which the project would collapse. If not, they wont contribute - end of project if that happens to enough of "your" developers.

So, in addition to the excellent observations made here, I add:

5. Implement a working proof of concept or demo that programmers can run with.

This also embodies all the vague notions about structure and organization of the software in a working product. And no, I can''t join!
Thanks for all that feedback,
Acctually as soon as I posted, reasons have poped in my head why it wouldn''t work. Most of them everyone pretty much covered. First of all, I would not be the one in charge. Doing this would be extreamly hard. Maybe we can post to it in Trents Game Programming tutorials. Ultimitly if it is gonna work someone will have to be in charge. I was thing maybe everyone gives Ideas, thoughts, and code. And some one can take all of it and make it a reality. Another reason why it would be bad is if you have the game started, and some one screws around with it, and messes it up. But, instead of saying all the reasons it won''t work. Lets focus on the positive and think of ways how it could work. Any ideas or thought, please post
I have this idea. Have someone (maybe you) make a full featured game engine. Have it not be TOO advanced though. Then distribute it in the forums under some licence agreement that protects the engine from being sold to anyone. Then see who can make the most creative game with it, and have finished projects posted on your website (if you have one) or someone elses. Just a thought, and less organization is needed.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
Atronic, that is a good idea.
Using your idea of having someone make a engine is wonderful. What we need now is criteria for the game. For example, what kind of game is it, partial systems, what features it has, etc. If someone does make the engine, just like the Halloween and Cristmas contests, there could be a contest to see who made the best game with it. We would have to ask Nehe about the contest but first thing is first. We have to brain storm a game engine.
Post your thought and ideas.
Sounds good to me. Do you have the opengl game programming book? It has a good layout for a game engine (SimpEngine). If we made something like that but with more structure and features... Let me think for a while about what it would need to have.

Alex Broadwin
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
ENGINE
-Integrated Particle System
-Basic Model Format (custom?)
-Integrated Collision Testing (with models + standard primitives)
-Easy To Understand Procedural Pipeline
-Standard Engine Node System (for child/parent objects)
-Built In Game Timer
-Built In Skeletal Animation System?
-Curve & Curve Mesh Classes
-Primitive Classes (includes tex coords + normals)
**We should keep window/input/sound seperate so that it can be portable. It should use only standard c++ and opengl for the same reason. I''ll try to keep thinking.

Alex Broadwin
-----

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement