Quote:As he said, where the hell are the objects? Frankly, this is crap. I said it was a sink or swim moment for the ARB and it's just sunk without a trace. It appears the reason is they don't want to break the API because of all the CAD apps out there (J. Carmack, QuakeCon2008), and in doing so have finally put the nail into the coffin games wise. I'd like to congratulate MS for winning the 3D API 'war' on Windows, turns out they didn't need to sink the goodship OpenGL, the captains ran it into an iceberg for them.
For those who don't feel like digging through the spec, OpenGL 3.0 Equals:
- API support for the new texture lookup, texture format, and integer and unsigned integer capabilities of the OpenGL Shading Language 1.30 specification (GL EXT gpu shader4).
- Conditional rendering (GL NV conditional render).
- Fine control over mapping buffer subranges into client space and flushing modified data.
- Floating-point color and depth internal formats for textures and renderbuffers (GL ARB color buffer float, GL NV depth buffer float, 455 N.2. DEPRECATION MODEL 456 GL ARB texture float, GL EXT packed float, and GL EXT texture shared exponent).
- Framebuffer objects (GL EXT framebuffer object).
- Half-float (16-bit) vertex array and pixel data formats (GL NV half float and GL ARB half float pixel).
- Multisample stretch blit functionality (GL EXT framebuffer multisample and GL EXT framebuffer blit).
- Non-normalized integer color internal formats for textures and renderbuffers (GL EXT texture integer).
- One- and two-dimensional layered texture targets (GL EXT texture array).
- Packed depth/stencil internal formats for combined depth+stencil textures and renderbuffers (GL EXT packed depth stencil).
- Per-color-attachment blend enables and color writemasks (GL EXT draw buffers2).
- RGTC specific internal compressed formats (GL EXT texture compression rgtc).
- Single- and double-channel (R and RG) internal formats for textures and renderbuffers.
- Transform feedback (GL EXT transform feedback).
- Vertex array objects (GL APPLE vertex array object).
- sRGB framebuffer mode (GL EXT framebuffer sRGB) Plus deprecation of older features.