result of collision ?

Started by
0 comments, last by ecapot 22 years, 9 months ago
Hello, my question is the following . . I have 2 objects that collide (I can check that) The Objects have a movement vector (lenght = velocity) I can compute the real angle (not only the direction of the vector) if that matters somehow. How can i compute the resulting vectors of the two objects after the collision . They should have an influence on each other , so that a non moving object becomes an amount of movement from an object that moves against it. Thanks.
Advertisement
Conservation of Momentum:

For each object, F = m*v f - m*v i, where v f and v i are final and initial velocities respectively. F 1 is equal to -F 2 (the changes in momentum for the two objects ar equal in magnitude, but opposite). Determining the effect of one particle on the other requires knowing how the force was transmitted through the particles'' centers - in straight lines or tangentially. The tangent is the natural attenuation factor for the transmitted velocity.

In English, calculate the intersection point of the bounding region of each object with the direction vector of the other. if the center of the bound object lies on the same line, then simply add the vector. If not, then calculate the vector from the point of intersection to the center and add that to your velocity vector.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement