I dont know any mongolians.

Started by
24 comments, last by speciesUnknown 12 years, 4 months ago
Thanks to my job selling burgers, which I only quit last year, I've met a huge variety of people in person. I've worked with kurds, arabs, asians afticans, north americans south americans and europeans I also went to a very mixed college, lived with pakistanis, poles, africans, south americans, north americans. Thanks to the internet ive also had conversations with israelies, palistinians (sometimes at the same time with interesting results) But I never met anybody from mongolia. I've not worked with a Mongolian, lived with a Mongolian, or chatted with a Mongolian on IRC. Where are all the mongolians? It's as if they only live in Mongolia or something. I feel they are very under-represented. [edit] Just to clarify - im aware that mongolia is in asia. The thing that puzzles me is that you can name nearly any country you like, and I can think of somebody I know or used to know who is from that country. Mongolia is an exception, despite its size and population count.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Advertisement
I think they don't like you and try everything possible to avoid you.
This thread is silly for a number of reasons.

How exactly do you know you haven't met any Mongolians?

You already said that you've met Asian people. Mongolia is in Asia. How do you know they weren't Mongolian?

Since you've met some Africans, do you feel you've met them all? Same goes for South Americans, North Americans, Asians, etc. Take a look at how many countries there are in each of these continents, then look at how many ethnic groups there are. Just for fun, also look up how many languages there are in each of them.

Why is it so important to meet someone from Mongoila? Why not Uruguay? How about the Congo? New Guinea? Jordan? Barbados? Marutitius? Mauritania?

What exactly is your understanding of under representation??? Underrepresented where, underrepresented how? Are the French overrepresented in France?

P.S. You also have a gross sampling bias. For example, to lots of people, hamburgers are culturally unfamiliar. Simply put, my parents never eat hamburgers, because we are foreign.

[Edited by - fpsgamer on April 27, 2009 12:03:37 PM]
There was a mongolian in IRC a few days ago. I did an IP2location on him and we discussed mongolian culture a little bit. Also someone randomly said something along the lines of "should I have mongolian bbq or pizza?" and the mongolian was like "I'd go with the bbq". It was a pretty good time. You must have been AFK.
I've met a bunch of Mongolians in Las Vegas. You just need a change of venue [grin]
-- insert Ghengis Khan joke here --

Here's a way for you to meet Mongolians the next time you travel to London: Genghis Khan DNA test
attracts hordes of takers
(assuming the restaurant is still in operation).

Ever met any one from Malawi? Honduras? Bhutan? Djibouti?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
This thread is silly for a number of reasons.

How exactly do you know you haven't met any Mongolians?

Perhaps I did, perhaps as Sirisian said I just missed them, or met them in passing.
Quote:

You already said that you've met Asian people. Mongolia is in Asia. How do you know they weren't Mongolian?

I look at a map of asia and I can think of somebody I knew from most of the countries there. Cambodia is another exception, im not aware of having met any cambodians.

Quote:
Since you've met some Africans, do you feel you've met them all? Same goes for South Americans, North Americans, Asians, etc. Take a look at how many countries there are in each of these continents, then look at how many ethnic groups there are. Just for fun, also look up how many languages there are in each of them.

OK, africa is a big continent and I've known people from roughly half the countries there. I've worked with people of Nigeria and South Africa in particular. I had a conversation with somebody from Zimbabwe for 2 hours on a train a few years ago. Our views could not have been more opposite... but I'm sure we each learned something.
Quote:

Why is it so important to meet someone from Mongoila? Why not Uruguay? How about the Congo? New Guinea? Jordan? Barbados? Marutitius? Mauritania?

I'm not aware of the last two, but there were two students from the Congo at my college a few years ago, I worked with somebody from New Guinea. Ive not met somebody from Jordan.. Besides, I thought Guinea is split into two countries?
Quote:

What exactly is your understanding of under representation??? Underrepresented where, underrepresented how? Are the French overrepresented in France?

P.S. You also have a gross sampling bias. For example, to lots of people, hamburgers are culturally unfamiliar. Simply put, my parents never eat hamburgers, because we are foreign.

In hindsight yes, there are loads of countries whoes occupants I've not spoken with, but Mongolia is a big place. Some countries heavily mix with the sort of anglicised culture that I'm from, others do not, and the distance from where I live (UK) isn't directly correlated.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Ever met any one from Malawi? Honduras? Bhutan? Djibouti?

No, yes (we dated for about 3 months), no, no.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
In hindsight yes, there are loads of countries whoes occupants I've not spoken with, but Mongolia is a big place.

In land area. But with only 3 million citizens (excluding expats), the chance of meeting one is as big as meeting anyone from a random reasonably large city somewhere in the world.
When I was in Japan, I met a "girl" who was allegedly Mongolian although I'm fairly certain she was actually a man. I'd feel really let down if she wasn't actually Mongolian!
----Bart

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement