Large texture optimization

Started by
0 comments, last by guitardave24 22 years, 9 months ago
I''m developing a 3d multiplayer top-down space shooter which is nearly 80% complete. However, I am having troubles deciding how I exactly want to handle the space ''scene''. Basically, I figured that I would want some type of dynamic scene going on without just a single couple background textures acting as the setting, so, I now have random nebulas, stars, planets, etc being randomly generated on world load up. So basically, when a server starts a game he will send the seed to the clients and have them re-create the same world. Although, I still think that I want some type of large BG image in the background as well, (although moving slower with the ships to produce a ''depth'' effect). I have tried this, but notice it cuts into the FPS too much. Does anyone have any suggestions for re-creating beautifully rendered space scenes in the far background like Homeworld did? Any suggestions would be appreciated. ~David M. Byttow www.integralstudios.com
~David M. Byttowwww.integralstudios.com
Advertisement
Don''t quote me here but I think Homeworld used basic gouraud shaded tringles with no textures or alpha. A bunch of simple triangles (that aren''t too big) usually don''t take too long. Whats nice is that you can just throw some cheap white light on some verts to fake lightning in the nebulas like them! Its up to you to make the lightning look good though. Works great! =]

Keep up the great work. I love space shooters. =]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement