Splashscreen

Started by
4 comments, last by stefu 22 years, 8 months ago
How to show splas screen? I can''t use textures for splashscreens. Does OpenGL have way to draw pixels directly to backbuffer? Or should I draw pixel by pixel using glBegin(GL_POINT)/glEnd()?
Advertisement
You can use the normal GDI functions.
Just use glBegin(GL_PIXELS); The GDI is way too slow for what you need.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials
too slow for a splash screen???!

GDI must be darn slow then!
take a look at glDrawPixels
it''s slow though

Free your mind.
Free your mind.
If you want a splash screen, your best bet is to use a modeless dialog containing your splash image. If you're doing this in VC++, you can make a dialog (make sure you make the style thin-line or no-border) of any size in the resource editor, then insert an image in the upper-left corner of that dialog. In the procedure for that dialog, in the WM_CREATE message, use SetWindowPos to resize the dialog to the exact size of your splash image and place the dialog at the top of the Z-order (make it the topmost window). So, you'll display this dialog (using DialogBox) just before you start loading, and you'll destroy it (using SendMessage(hwndSplash, WM_CLOSE, 0, 0), which implies that you'll have to somehow keep track of that dialog's handle) when you're done with it. This method gives you a "true" splash screen.

Edited by - merlin9x9 on July 30, 2001 6:43:02 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement