Image of the Day

「筋肉兄貴のスーパーラン!」
夕焼けにガラス・・・(´・ω・`)
ガラスは割りたいでしょうけど、割ったらクリアできないですよ。
(o・ω・o)
 #indiedev  #indiegame #screenshotsaturday https://t.co/fhKO5NJ5ee
IOTD | Top Screenshots

The latest, straight to your Inbox.

Subscribe to GameDev.net's newsletters to receive the latest updates and exclusive content.

Perspective correct depth interpolation

2: Adsense

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 knarkowicz   Members   

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

Hi,

I'm writing a depth only software rasterizer and have a few questions about perspective correct depth interpolation.

Vertex position in homogeneous coordinates in clip space: [x, y, z, w]
Vertex position after projection: [x', y', z'] = [x/w, y/w, z/w]

1. In some articles they say that You should interpolate z/w and 1/w. And later divide it to calculate persp corr depth. Other ones (C. Hecker's texture mapper docs) say that You can just interpolate 1/z'. This two ways lead to two different equations, so what is the correct way?

2. If it's ok to interpolate 1/z', then what to do, when z' is 0? For example DirectX style projection matrix returns z' from [0;1] range. Should I tweak it to have z' in (0;1] range or am I missing something?

blog | twitter | "Don't have any friends? Still a virgin? Programming is for you!"

#2 zurekx   Members   

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

I haven't done the math in a long time, but I don't see why you would want to interpolate 1/z'. 1/w or 1/z is correct I think, it doesn't really matter since w depends linearly of z. You can either interpolate 1/z and do the inverse to get the actual depth, or interpolate z/w and 1/w and divide z/w by 1/w.

So you dont have to worry about z' being equal to 0 (which it will be for a point in the near plane), since you interpolate 1/w, which will never be zero. w will usually be a multiple of your z coordinate, so if it's equal to 0, it will be clipped away by the near plane.

[Edited by - zurekx on September 7, 2010 3:54:03 PM]

#3 knarkowicz   Members   

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

Quote:
Original post by zurekx
Well z' is only gonna be 0 when z is zero. This should never happen since you got a near plane and everything behind it should be clipped away.

By DirectX convention in clip space z has range [0;w] and 0 means a point on the near plane.

Quote:
Original post by zurekx
I haven't done the math in a long time, but I don't see why you would want to interpolate 1/z'. 1/w or 1/z is correct I think, it doesn't really matter since w depends linearly of z. You can either interpolate 1/z and do the inverse to get the actual depth, or interpolate z/w and 1/w and divide z/w by 1/w.

I think I can't just interpolate 1/z, because it's in homogeneous coordinates, so I need to include division by w somewhere.

blog | twitter | "Don't have any friends? Still a virgin? Programming is for you!"

#4 zurekx   Members   

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

I just changed my post a little bit before I saw your answer. I haven't worked with the matrices in DirectX, but usually the z clip coordinate is in [-1, 1]. But you shouldnt divide by the z clip coordinate, you should divide by w.

No you shouldnt use just 1/z, since you are using homogenous coordinates and projection matrices and such things. But if you're just thinking, "hey I wanna draw a triangle", you can get away with interpolating 1/z. But if you're somewhat serious and want to make things thw right way, you use a projection matrix. Then you should interpolate 1/w. This will _basically_ be the same thing since w usually is a multiple of z. Maybe I'm mixing things up a little bit though.

The important things though are: w will be a multiple of z. It will never be 0 since it's a multiple of z, and the minimum value of z is the near-plane, which is never 0. It doesn't really matter if you interpolate 1/z or 1/w, but you should use 1/w if you use homogenous coordinates, that's standard.

#5 knarkowicz   Members   

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

I'll be using this rasterizer for geometry culling, so it needs to be accurate and as fast as possible. That's why I asked if the 1/z' way is correct, as interpolating 1 attribute is much faster than interpolating 2 attributes and multiplication per pixel :). Anyway thanks for answers.

#6 zurekx   Members   

1Likes

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

Actually, I looked on the page you posted on some of the DX matrices, and you can use 1/z' aswell if you'd like. Sorry if I confused you, I've never written a rasterizer properly with homogenous coordinates. Anyway, for a depth buffer you could use 1/z'. But you can use 1/w aswell as you don't need the exact z-values. Since w is a multiple of the z-coordinate before projection, it can be used for depth tests.

Wait again :) Sorry if I change my mind all the time, I've had a few glasses of wine :) But you should be able to interpolate just z', not 1/z'.

Let's work it out. If you have a world space coordinate (x, y, z, 1) and you multiply it with the projection matrix, you should have something on the form (xxx, xxx, z*a + b, z * c), for some constants a,b,c. Now if you divide the new z-coordinate by the w-coordinate (to obtain what you called z'), you should get something like Constant1 + Constant2 / z. This is a number that depends on the inverse of z. You should be able to interpolate it linearly in screen space, and just store that value in the depth buffer for comparision.

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.