New Tech for the win!

Started by
44 comments, last by Hodgman 13 years, 1 month ago
Greenery makes diesel fuel

Rocks can make you invisible

Look, ma! I can contain antimatter with no hands!

Obviously these things may not make it on a large scale. But that it can even be done on a small scale is impressive. The future for Star Trek looks bright indeed.... in another 100 years.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Interesting reads :)

There are conspiracy theories that renewable energy is not further developed than it is because there are powerful vested interests in the current fossil fuel business, and therefore against renewable energies. I wonder if the "greenery to diesel" tech would suffer from something similar?
Oh, what a great idea. Fields that naturally give off toxic, and flammable, fluids,...

I can see someone really thought that one through before starting work. Just think of how fun it will be if they spill and get into the wild.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

There are conspiracy theories that renewable energy is not further developed than it is because there are powerful vested interests in the current fossil fuel business, and therefore against renewable energies.
That's not a conspiracy theory, it's common knowledge -- e.g. lots of alternative energy inventions are patent-horded by those "powerful vested interests"...

Oh, what a great idea. Fields that naturally give off toxic, and flammable, fluids,...

I can see someone really thought that one through before starting work. Just think of how fun it will be if they spill and get into the wild.

How is this any more risky than a well that could throw burning liquid from underground everywhere?

Actually, when you put it that way... good point :P Not just because of the risk of burning. Its also a question of ethics and upsetting of the natural balance I think. Normally one associates greenery with healthy environment. If these things got out into the wild and spread far and wide, thus invalidating that association, that would be quite disturbing.

That's not a conspiracy theory, it's common knowledge -- e.g. lots of alternative energy inventions are patent-horded by those "powerful vested interests"...

Didn't realise it is provable. But now you mention it I suppose its not too difficult.
One full tank (car tank thingy) of biodiesel = 1 year of food for a human. (seen on TV)

One full tank (car tank thingy) of biodiesel = 1 year of food for a human. (seen on TV)

Is this the famous "Food for Oil" program?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

that depends a lot on what it's being made out of, whether it's already being used for something else, and where it's being grown.

It doesn't appear to need farm land, which is also the case for algal deisel, but it's also 4 times as efficient in its estimation. 15,000 barrels of diesel fuel, with no need to be further refined mind you, per year per acre is pretty huge. An acre isn't that enormous. It could be easily housed on top of medium sized buildings.

I also doubt they would create the organism to survive outside a very specific set of circumstances, so I don't think it will be ravaging our forests turning them all into gasoline.

[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1298893568' post='4780040']

Is this the famous "Food for Oil" program?
[/quote]

It's the famous um.... food... hunger whatever program on the famous um... Discovery or Nat Geo Channel. Or something like that on one of those....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement