OpenGL Game progamming book: DX8 sdk :(

Started by
10 comments, last by GalaxyQuest 22 years, 7 months ago
The directX8 sdk installer doesnt wanna work. The gamedev site for this book only lists the missing source code but doesnt refer to how, if possible, to make the DX installer work. Am I shit out of luck and gonna have to download the sdk using 56k or is there a way to get a new cd sent to me? I cant seem to reach primatech for help!
Advertisement
$10 (CD + Shipping) and I''ll mail you a verified working version of the SDK.

But honestly, I didn''t try the one on the CD, not sure if it''s broken or not. I seem to remember people saying they had problems with it though. Sorry, don''t know how to help.

- Mike
"The important thing to remember when programming is: When you're 90% complete, there's still 50% more to go."
actually the one on the opengl game programming cd is busted..
well i had problems installing it. the files are incomplete or something..

i just downloaded the sdk off microsofts site. i dont have a link on me but just search for it. its not that hard to find there.
www.msdn.microsoft.com/downloads, then go to the menu on the left and go to Graphics and Multimedia -> DirectX -> DirectX 8.0 Partial SDK Downloads. Hope that helps.

Free Spirits Studios

Edited by - ExellonDeveloper on September 9, 2001 8:27:58 PM
Free Spirits Studios
Alot of things don''t work with that book... such as the code in Chapter 9 for the Torus in the Sky! Damn, Ive been trying all day to fix it and all I get is linking errors(and the source code was downloaded directly from their site, too...). The Direct X SDK doesn''t work for me either.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I had this problem too! I think that the reason is that the guys have checked this stupid 8.3 option in their winzip program so if you unpack it it would create dirs within this BlaBla~1 style so the setup would not find all the files needed. If you have installed it you just see the dirs that are naturaly smaller than or equal to 8 (or 11 ? not sure) letters.

I think you may find those small versions (just headers and libs) of the dx8sdk on microsofts webpage (msdn.microsoft.com/downloads) so that it is no problem for you to download it with your modem.

Sebbi
Many books come with corrupted cds or they are bad in the first place and all the produced cds are bad. This book is a good one though
Hi

This is a known problem.
If you want a replacement CD go to:

glbook.gamedev.net

It''s free and delivery is quite quick.

"To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer"
Hello...

Just wanted to say to Drizzt DoUrden that you need to link glaux.lib opengl32.lib glu32.lib to the project...then it works fine.

Obviously the guy who works at primatech and used winzip or whatever has never heard of quality assurance. Its called testing your damn work on a clean machine. When he double clicked the damn zip and saw that winzip opened up, it was good enough and called it a day..lol..morons. >:/ Oh well, 8 hours of downloading and I know have DX8...bastards.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement