Site mobile interface

Started by
12 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 12 years, 6 months ago
The sites front page on an iPhone fails to load due to an error with the news feature
[font="Times"]Fatal error: Call to undefined method skin_ccs_global_3::featured_news() in/var/www/gamedev/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/pages.php(416) : eval()'d code on line 14575[/quote][/font]
[font="Times"]Active content does not show anything.[/font]
[font="Times"]
[/font]
[font="Times"]My biggest problem is that the site insists on showing the mobile version no matter what I would prefer. Yes there is a 'show full version" yet this only shows the full version for the current page, anytime you click a link you ignore my preference and show the mobile version again :([/font]

[font="Times"]I know there is an iPhone app for the forum software but I do not want to use an app to view the web, come on this is the web and I have a perfectly fine browser why would I want an app for this?[/font]
"You insulted me!" I did not say that in the private message Tom Sloper!
Advertisement

The sites front page on an iPhone fails to load due to an error with the news feature
[font="Times"]Fatal error: Call to undefined method skin_ccs_global_3::featured_news() in/var/www/gamedev/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/pages.php(416) : eval()'d code on line 14575
[/font]
[font="Times"]Active content does not show anything.[/font]
[font="Times"]
[/font]
[font="Times"]My biggest problem is that the site insists on showing the mobile version no matter what I would prefer. Yes there is a 'show full version" yet this only shows the full version for the current page, anytime you click a link you ignore my preference and show the mobile version again :([/font]

[font="Times"]I know there is an iPhone app for the forum software but I do not want to use an app to view the web, come on this is the web and I have a perfectly fine browser why would I want an app for this?[/font]
[/quote]

I think that's just an oversight on our part. We'll address it.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Using the full version seems to be mostly fixed only when a user is logged in yet the mobile interface is still broken. Good job the front page is not a landing page and people don't need to bookmark another page to view the site.
OK is there a joke I am missing here as this is still not addressed. I guess some work has been done on the file as the error now lists that the call is on line 14741 instead of [font="Times"][color="#1c2837"]14575 but this has gone beyond the point of a joke and is now complete and utter incompetence! It is the front page FFS.[/font]
It should at least be back up again.
I do not know what device you used to load the front page yet it is the same error on iDevices, I would upload an image of the error yet there are no options which allow this from the mobile interface and in normal mode it requires hosting it externally as the attach image option does not work as it requires flash. O no problem you can use the alternative upload method, well that does not seem to work either. This wil be my last post on the matter your interface is so fucked up and frustrating that I will no longer use it when mobile. Is this how it is really meant to be for mobile devices, is this some/ any sort if improvement, just how difficult is it to be able to view a page on a mobile browser and upload an image.

I do not know what device you used to load the front page yet it is the same error on iDevices, I would upload an image of the error yet there are no options which allow this from the mobile interface and in normal mode it requires hosting it externally as the attach image option does not work as it requires flash. O no problem you can use the alternative upload method, well that does not seem to work either. This wil be my last post on the matter your interface is so fucked up and frustrating that I will no longer use it when mobile. Is this how it is really meant to be for mobile devices, is this some/ any sort if improvement, just how difficult is it to be able to view a page on a mobile browser and upload an image.

Lack of uploading capability is an iPhone issue. The attach image option with flash can be turned off though if you edit your account settings and switch back to basic uploading.

[quote name='magic_man' timestamp='1305908378' post='4813516']

Lack of uploading capability is an iPhone issue. The attach image option with flash can be turned off though if you edit your account settings and switch back to basic uploading.
[/quote]

Well I am not on an iDevice so will reply to that now, to say I did try that
[color=#1C2837][size=2] O no problem you can use the alternative upload method, well that does not seem to work either.[/quote]
Instead of throwing this in a new thread, as it's no doubt been addressed somewhere, but GameDev.net does not play well with my iPad. In one case, the edit boxes do not trigger the keyboard ( this is a pretty common glitch, especially if the input box is actually a div instead of a text field ), but more distressing, clicking on the quick reply box actually kills Safari.
Check this journal entry, that should be your solution

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement