Modding difficulty of various games

Started by
2 comments, last by CheeseGrater 22 years, 7 months ago
I''ve been coding for a long while, but I haven''t tried modding someone else''s game yet. Does anyone have any information or opinions that they''d like to share on the various moddable games out there? I''d love to know how well the various SDKs are laid out, wether it''s easier to grok UT code vs. Half Life code, which SDKs let you modifiy more about the game, etc. etc.
Advertisement
I''d say give it a try yourself. These mod utilities are all free - some games even come with their own map- and campaign-making utilities as well. Others have pages on their websites where you can download the SDKs. It''s easy to go around and try out various games, although I would suggest that if you want to have the most fun then pick a game that you really like where there''s something that you would want to see it in - create a mod to do that! In short there are too many differences, the Unreal engine is utterly complex while StarCraft uses a simple tiled drag and drop interface. Pick your favorite game and see if there is anything you can do to mod it.

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Hmm. I was looking for a more specific answer than that.

I spend more time making games than playing them. As a result, I really don''t own many video games. When I do buy one, I generally get it 12-18 months after it originally came out, to get a better price and so that all the patches/trainers/etc that are gonna be made will be available.

''Try them all'' isn''t tremendously useful advice to someone who doesn''t own copies of these things in the first place.
Well I''m sorry but that''s about all I can say. I mean the Unreal engine supports some pretty good coding software and level editing software. It just depends on how much you can mod a certain game, and whether it can be modded in the first place. I guess I should start a list of moddable games. There''s just so much variety out there - some are complex and some are easy to use.... some don''t even have editors and require you to hack into the actual game files themselves and change them around. You see what I''m saying? Unless I have an idea on what you want to do and what game you want to mod I really can''t get specific on anything.

"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement