Newbie looking for Help to get started

Started by
1 comment, last by nfries88 12 years, 9 months ago
Greeting friends,

My name is Irvin and I'm a game addict, recently I've decided to make my addiction more productive
so I decided to make games instead of just playing them.

I have no programming background safe for some basic html and pascal I did years ago
which I've already mostly forgotten. I am a "visionary" according to a wiki I read online, that is:
I can see what the game I want to create looks like and how it plays.

At the moment I'm self learning C++ from http://www.cplusplus.com which I consider to be
a good starting point since they start from the very basic. I really know not where else to
start or what else to do to realize my dreams.

My long term goal is to make an isometric RPG, my short term goal is to complete some small
games as a learning experience. Games include:

Teris
Pong
Pacman
point and click adventure
2D fighting game

My current gold is to make pong, I'm planning to make it to completion so that it has a
title screen, score screen, control config, and all the things a completed game has. I'm
planning to use C++ to do it.

I know I'm like a man stranded in a desert without a compass walking
in one direction hoping to reach an oasis. And I'm here asking for a helping hand.
Any kind of help would be appreciated be it simple advice or suggestions to adding
me on MSN to be my friend and tutor.

If you're a veteran programmer and kind enough to share your experience I thank you
for your kindness, if you're someone like myself, a beginner trying to learn and looking
for someone to climb these long steps with me together I welcome you by my side.

My msn is foxcool at hotmail dot com.

I will continue down my path regardless, but it would be great if I didn't had to do it
alone and without a guide. Would you be my compass?

Sincerely yours,
Irvin.
Advertisement
Moving you to For Beginners, as you appear to be looking for guidance and people to help with advice -- Help Wanted is for recruiting or joining teams. Good luck, it sounds like you're taking a sensible approach to things. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

I frequently use cplusplus.com's reference to supplement my own knowledge (using tons of different APIs, sometimes you forget the standard stuff; right?), but I find that the programming tutorials at cprogramming.com to be much more well-rounded and complete. But different minds learn different ways, and maybe cprogramming.com's tutorial structure will only serve to confuse you.

Overall, your approach is the proper one. I would keep going as you have been. If you ever get stuck somewhere, feel free to PM me here. I check the site a couple of times a day.(NOTE: That's an exclusive offer for the OP. Please don't harass me via PM, strangers! =[)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement