C++ Game Programming Beginner Help

Started by
8 comments, last by KingFresh13 12 years, 8 months ago
Hello everyone, I am learning C++ (reading books right now), and I will be going to school majoring in Computer Science, to learn more programming, but at the moment, I want to make a small basic game in C++.

I've looked around, and I heard isometric games are the easiest to start off with, so I think I want to take that approach (unless it isn't the easiest to start with). Now I am having trouble finding an engine that is "beginner friendly", and I can use to create my first game. I was looking around, and I couldn't find any isometric game engines, that are free. As a beginner, I don't want to pay for a game engine, since I don't know a lot about C++ yet.

Again, I am reading books, and tutorials to help increase my C++ knowledge, but I do want to make a small free game, that I can share online, and stuff like that. It's my first game, so I don't plan on making any money from the game.

Anyways... If anyone can offer some knowledge on what engine I should use, then please inform me. Also, if there are any source codes I can learn from, then please tell me about those as well. And if anyone knows where I can find some pixel assets, or game assets (characters, objects, etc.) for free, please tell me.

GAMES I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE:

Simulation (Sims, Tycoon Games, Etc.)
RPG (Final Fantasy, etc.)
Platform Games
Shooters
Advertisement
[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]
Is your ultimate goal to make a game? Or is it to improve in C++ by making a game?[/font]

If it's just to make a game, there are some engines out there that will make it easier to focus on making the game. If you want a 2d game, GameMaker is a great tool/engine. If you want 3d games, you can try UDK or Unity (UDK uses UnrealScript and Unity uses JavaScript/C#). But perhaps it's better to make a few 2d games before jumping into 3d.[/font]

If you really want to do it in C++, then a 2d top down game might be a good idea before an isometric game. You could try something similar to Pac Man. Or you might want to code a Tetris clone or something simpler like Asteroids. Do keep it simple... in C++ you'll have to figure out how to draw sprites, how to output audio, maybe deal with compiler errors, memory leaks, etc. Even if you use external libraries to accomplish certain things (like OpenAL or FMOD for sound) it means learning a new API, which will take a little time away from making the actual game.

So you don't need C++ to make a game. But if you really want to use C++ (and many times you do), it's best to start very simple. You might want to try putting certain systems together first. For example:

1. Be able to draw sprites
2. Be able to detect and resolve collision with sprites
3. Be able to play a sound effect

With these three things, you could make a spaceship game where you shoot enemies.

Hello everyone, I am learning C++ (reading books right now), and I will be going to school majoring in Computer Science, to learn more programming, but at the moment, I want to make a small basic game in C++.

I've looked around, and I heard isometric games are the easiest to start off with, so I think I want to take that approach (unless it isn't the easiest to start with). Now I am having trouble finding an engine that is "beginner friendly", and I can use to create my first game. I was looking around, and I couldn't find any isometric game engines, that are free. As a beginner, I don't want to pay for a game engine, since I don't know a lot about C++ yet.

Again, I am reading books, and tutorials to help increase my C++ knowledge, but I do want to make a small free game, that I can share online, and stuff like that. It's my first game, so I don't plan on making any money from the game.

Anyways... If anyone can offer some knowledge on what engine I should use, then please inform me. Also, if there are any source codes I can learn from, then please tell me about those as well. And if anyone knows where I can find some pixel assets, or game assets (characters, objects, etc.) for free, please tell me.

Platform Games
Shooters

Like gsamour, I'd like ro start with what you actyally want to do. I see your above goals are to make games, but would it be to decide the game mechanics, or to develop the parts of a game yoursrlf?

As for the simplest game; no it is not an isometric game. I's simpler. With less graphics. None, pergaps.
Maybe a few text inputs. Integers. And an interesting output.

Pergaps "guess a number" would be good, or a short text adventure?
If you were good at using the console, you could do tetris in it, or maybe a roguelike.
But i advice to start without graphics. They add steepness to the learning curve...

[quote name='KingFresh13' timestamp='1311796360' post='4841269']

Platform Games
Shooters

Like gsamour, I'd like ro start with what you actyally want to do. I see your above goals are to make games, but would it be to decide the game mechanics, or to develop the parts of a game yoursrlf?

As for the simplest game; no it is not an isometric game. I's simpler. With less graphics. None, pergaps.

If you were good at using the console, you could do tetris in it, or maybe a roguelike.
But i advice to start without graphics. They add steepness to the learning curve...
[/quote]

[quote name='SuperVGA' timestamp='1311800506' post='4841296']

Platform Games
Shooters

[/quote]
[/quote]

You have no idea how happy it makes me that you can quote :) Care to say anything else...? Haha.
Jacob Foster
Software Engineering student at the Oregon Institute of Technology

[quote name='KingFresh13' timestamp='1311804368' post='4841321']
[quote name='SuperVGA' timestamp='1311800506' post='4841296']

Platform Games
Shooters

[/quote]
[/quote]

You have no idea how happy it makes me that you can quote :) Care to say anything else...? Haha.
[/quote]

Lol sorry, I was on this site from my phone, and I clicked reply, and it just replied the quotes :P

But I want to make a basic game, to learn the basics of C++ game programming. Right now I am reading C++ from the GROUND UP, and learning some C++, but I also want to learn the game programming side of C++. So perhaps a small basic game to learn the ropes of C++.

Lol sorry, I was on this site from my phone, and I clicked reply, and it just replied the quotes :P

But I want to make a basic game, to learn the basics of C++ game programming. Right now I am reading C++ from the GROUND UP, and learning some C++, but I also want to learn the game programming side of C++. So perhaps a small basic game to learn the ropes of C++.

Ah, my school used that book for one of the classes (self-taught in programming, didn't have to buy the books :P). Since you will only know how to develop things that display on the console until you finish that book and move onto more complex APIs (such as Win32 or OpenGL), there are a couple of things I can recommend.

The first game you should make is a number guessing game. It randomizes a number between 1 and 100, and the user has 5 chances to guess that number. They get points based on how quickly they get it correct. You can set up winning conditions and what-not.

After that, another game you can make is a text-based adventure. "You are in a forest. Go Left, go right?" <-- That kind of game. You could also incorporate monsters and such once you learn about classes and inheritance. For the damage you could create a dice class and use a D&D setup for calculating damage and what-not.

Hope these ideas help you out some :)
Jacob Foster
That helped me a lot. I think I will finish reading on C++ and then go to game programming from there. Text based game would be nice.
Glad I could help, if you ever have any questions be sure to ask here :)
Jacob Foster
Thank you :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement