MSc. game programming/development in UK?

Started by
6 comments, last by Joshimitsu91 12 years, 4 months ago
What MSc. courses in the UK are recommended for learning serious game programming/development? I am currently in the final year of my undergraduate degree (Physics and Computer Science) and I am looking to start an MSc in the UK in 2012.

So far I have found the following three Skillset-accredited courses:
It would be much appreciated if anyone with experience in this area could help to compare and contrast these courses; maybe one of you has attended any of these universities or maybe even did one of these degrees?

Are there any other courses that are recommended / Should I also consider courses that are not Skillset-accredited (e.g. De Montfort University)

Many thanks for you help,
Ben
Advertisement
I would recommend Hull. I am studying that course there now and it has great connection with the industry and the course material is very modern, We are covering things like C++11, shaders, advanced game engine implementation/design, network, AI + many more. Its definitely not a 'joke' course, it has a pretty steep learning curve and lots of work has to be done.

I would recommend Hull. I am studying that course there now and it has great connection with the industry and the course material is very modern, We are covering things like C++11, shaders, advanced game engine implementation/design, network, AI + many more. Its definitely not a 'joke' course, it has a pretty steep learning curve and lots of work has to be done.

Thank you for your answer. Do you have any details about the differences between MSc Computer Graphics Programming and MSc Games Programming at Hull? From the website it seems like the only difference is one module (and the project).

Can I ask why you have decided to study at Hull at not at one of the other schools?
You are right there is only a small different between those 2 courses, there is fewer people on the graphics programming course. The graphics course has a scientific visualization elements to it, and some things like radiosity.
I am really happy on the games programming course as it balances graphics programming with game programming.

I chose Hull because it is highly recognized in the games industry as a course which prepares their students well for the job. A lot of my friends graduated from Hull and were offered jobs straight away.

Also our C++ teacher is amazing, he manages to make lectures fun, interactive and always teaches us to code with efficiency (branch prediction, cache alignment, assembly)
I have also been looking at the course at Sheffield Hallam and Hull, although it is unlikely i will be able to live away without a student loan! I'm seriously considering the course at Sheffield Hallam as i live nearby and the course itself looks very good. I've also contacted the course leader and from what we have discussed, it seems to cover a decent range of game development aspects. Apparently the course starts with an intensive C++ programming course to get everyone up to speed, although you need to have some basic programming experience (e.g. the basics + object orientated programming). I'm guessing your degree will have prepared you well for that.

By the way, i'm also doing a degree in Physics so i'm interested to see what advice people give you!

Josh.

You are right there is only a small different between those 2 courses, there is fewer people on the graphics programming course. The graphics course has a scientific visualization elements to it, and some things like radiosity.
I am really happy on the games programming course as it balances graphics programming with game programming.

Do you know if it is possible to change from games to graphics or vice versa after a few weeks/ 1st term?

I chose Hull because it is highly recognized in the games industry as a course which prepares their students well for the job. A lot of my friends graduated from Hull and were offered jobs straight away.

Good to hear that many students got jobs straightaway. Do you know if there is the possibility to do an internship / placement year as part of the course?

Also our C++ teacher is amazing, he manages to make lectures fun, interactive and always teaches us to code with efficiency (branch prediction, cache alignment, assembly)

That sounds really great to me!

A few more questions:
  • Could you give me an overview of the areas they teach? The information on the website is one thing, but it would be nice to hear it directly from a current student. How deep do they go into topics - is it more of a general overview or a few selected topics in depth?
  • Also, how is the balance PC/Console development, and do they also do mobile development (Droid/iOS)?
  • Do they teach physics as applied to games (I've heard one of the staff is a physicist...)?
  • How is the level of maths, do they waste much time on re-teaching high-school maths...?
Many thanks again for your help.

I have also been looking at the course at Sheffield Hallam and Hull, although it is unlikely i will be able to live away without a student loan! I'm seriously considering the course at Sheffield Hallam as i live nearby and the course itself looks very good. I've also contacted the course leader and from what we have discussed, it seems to cover a decent range of game development aspects. Apparently the course starts with an intensive C++ programming course to get everyone up to speed, although you need to have some basic programming experience (e.g. the basics + object orientated programming). I'm guessing your degree will have prepared you well for that.

By the way, i'm also doing a degree in Physics so i'm interested to see what advice people give you!

Josh.

Hey Josh, thanks for your reply. Has he told you anything else apart from the C++ course? Where did you find the contact details?

Hey Josh, thanks for your reply. Has he told you anything else apart from the C++ course? Where did you find the contact details?

I e-mailed the address in the contact us section (on the right hand side, http://www.shu.ac.uk...tus/course/131/) and it was passed onto him. I've only discussed the C++ requirements as i wanted to make sure i would be able to get on the course. The entry requirements are a degree (e.g. physics) and "demonstrating competency with the C++ programming language". He sent me an example of the multi choice test to look through, so i am sure he will send it you aswell if you ask. You can ask him about other content aswell i guess :) His name is Bob Steele.

Regards,

Josh

EDIT: So that e-mail is [email="aces-pggames@shu.ac.uk"]aces-pggames@shu.ac.uk[/email] ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement